Dead Tests - Board Change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to drop socket/switch plates when testing.Gives a better reading, I can see if earth sleeving is present and can show up loose terminations.
But this can mask compression low insulation faults

Always retest AFTER refixing sockets back.

But this can mask compression low insulation faults Always retest AFTER refixing sockets back.
Sorry, I obviously didn't make my self clear.

I was refering to testing Zs at each socket.

if you get a high reading on a socket try flicking the switch back n forth a few times this sometimes clears it. This seems to be the case with sockets on cooker switches a lot for some reason.

Also it wasnt 2.5 n 1.0 cos it was imperial but simply the equivalent which was originally something gauge. can anyone remember what it was. I know that the earth only has 3 strands which identifies it.

Also it wasnt 2.5 n 1.0 cos it was imperial but simply the equivalent which was originally something gauge. can anyone remember what it was. I know that the earth only has 3 strands which identifies it.
Are you refering to the circuit with the high r2? if so, how do you know it's imperial? The OP hasn't specified the cable size.

The r2/r1 ratio from Mattys results (2.54) is much closer to that expected of 2.5,1.0 (2.44) than it is to 7/029,3/029 (2.26), all else being equal.

Are you refering to the circuit with the high r2? if so, how do you know it's imperial? The OP hasn't specified the cable size.The r2/r1 ratio from Mattys results (2.54) is much closer to that expected of 2.5,1.0 (2.44) than it is to 7/029,3/029 (2.26), all else being equal.
It is likely to be 1.0mm if stranded also instead of multiplying by 1.67 you multiply by 2.5 which comes out as 88ohms

also in the previous post ie 3/029 the first number refers to the amount of strands.

Latest posts