Difference between Hybrid and Standard Inverter Query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanieMS

Reaction score
Hi, hoping you can help with what I imagine is a fairly basic question but I just need to get it outlined in black and white :)

If we had a standard inverter fitted and then required battery storage I believe we would need to add a battery controller inverter, a changeover unit and then obviously the batteries?

If we opted for a hybrid inverter at the beginning, would we be able to directly connect the batteries to it with it carrying out the work of the additional controller inverter and changeover unit, or would we still need to purchase something similar?

Thanks in advance
:)

As coll said. You pretty much nailed it.
Beware not all battery's are compatible with all inverter. If you go down the "add battery's later" have in mind which battery's you are thinking of adding before buying your inverter.

The way solar is going I would always future proof as much as possible. Hybrid IMO

As coll said. You pretty much nailed it.
Beware not all battery's are compatible with all inverter.
To be specific about this it's unually the comms between the BMS and the inverter BUT batterys can operate without comms quite happily with most inverters. Ideally get something that will talk (loads of choice, many use Pylontech protocol) but it doesn't need to be a deal breaker if a battery becomes available that doesnt have suitable comms.

If you go down the "add battery's later" have in mind which battery's you are thinking of adding before buying your inverter.
Not really an issue.

The way solar is going I would always future proof as much as possible. Hybrid IMO
Hybrid is a sensible option or a modular system like Victron.

I am not a fan of lead acid batteries for home storage but if you were planning to use them I heard this week that Solis have stopped supporting them on their newer Hybrid inverters.

Latest posts