Dimplex Duoheat DUO400i storage heater - Diagnosing fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleAndy01

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone know how i can diagnose a fault with my Dimplex DUO400i storage heater or suspect what the fault is most likely to be? Its 5 years old and won't switch on, i have tested the continuity of the wall switches 2 fuses, limit thermostat, over temp cutout, heating elements, and the pcb controller and they all take a current.

PS - i had already tried resetting the thermal cut off but component doesn't appear to have a reset switch?

IMG_20111204_131026.jpg

thanks

Andrew

DUOHEAT.jpg

IMG_20111204_131004.jpg

IMG_20111204_131037.jpg

IMG_20111204_131018.jpg

I fixed on of these a few weeks ago, that one made a clicking noise and the red lights on the control panel flashed, I replaced the PCB controller (best part of

Lillpete you could get a job in a garage doing those sort of repairs. :slap
Yeah I hate electronics:Blushing

A nice old fashion storage heater in which you can diagnose pretty much any fault with simply a continuity tester is much more my cup of tea ;)

Thanks, I have tracked it down with a continuity tester to the power supply unit PCB so i think i have had a similiar problem to yourself lillpete. I'm going to order a new part and see if it does the trick, the under side of the part had black scorch marks and a current wouldn't pass through so i'm hopeful.

View attachment 2714View attachment 2715

Andrew

The power supply unit didn't solve the problem, i decided to use a part from my duo300i from my hallway to see if that would fix it.

I swapped the PCB controller from the Duo300i to the Duo400i and it worked briefly then showed what i think is an error code on the display (pictured) 5 red non flashing lights on the right hand side and the child lock light engaged. the child lock doesn't disengage. Does anyone know what this means or how to fix?.

I called Dimplex and the operator didn't know what to do, error codes flash and no reset but was happy to give out an engineers number to come take a look and repair.

I put the controller back in my Duo300i and now that shows the 5 bars and child lock too, I hold my hands up and admit that i shouldn't have swapped controllers and i am a bit annoyed with myself as i now have my only 2 radiators out of action in mid December.

IMG_20111212_174108(1).jpg