DIY solar battery storage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At last. My application went in with WP South Wales. They turned it around in one day. You can ask for a direct number to the local team to you if you haven’t heard within five working days. I phoned my local team first before making the application, to see if I was going to be wasting my time. They were very helpful. In my correspondence with the application online pdf, I also put for the attention on the person I spoke to.
I’m sure if your form is filled in correctly you should have no problem. I did have help filling in my form by someone else on the Solar and battery diy forum on Facebook. The person on there sent me a redacted copy of his application and drawing, which was different set up to mine but very helpful.
By the way, my system is a used Sofar ME3000SP with my own DIY 14.7kwh pattern bank useing 16 x EVE LF280K cells and a Seplos 150amp BMS that connects to the inverter the same as a Pylon battery pack, and a Clint for power outage. All told including wiring AC Coupled inverver batteries and switches etc and the dreaded 20% £3,250

Last edited:
I’m sure if your form is filled in correctly you should have no problem. I did have help filling in my form by someone else on the Solar and battery diy forum on Facebook. The person on there sent me a redacted copy of his application and drawing, which was different set up to mine but very helpful.
By the way, my system is a used Sofar ME3000SP with my own DIY 14.7kwh pattern bank useing 16 x EVE LF280K cells and a Seplos 150amp BMS that connects to the inverter the same as a Pylon battery pack, and a Clint for power outage. All told including wiring AC Coupled inverver batteries and switches etc and the dreaded 20% £3,250
it will be very interesting to see how you get on with that setup, do please report back occasionally.

At last. My application went in with WP South Wales. They turned it around in one day. You can ask for a direct number to the local team to you if you haven’t heard within five working days. I phoned my local team first before making the application, to see if I was going to be wasting my time. They were very helpful. In my correspondence with the application online pdf, I also put for the attention on the person I spoke to.
By the way, my system is a used Sofar ME3000SP with my own DIY 14.7kwh pattern bank useing 16 x EVE LF280K cells and a Seplos 150amp BMS that connects to the inverter the same as a Pylon battery pack, and a Clint for power outage. All told including wiring AC Coupled inverver batteries and switches etc and the dreaded 20% £3
Excellent. VFM.
I'm buying this to connect with the existing.

https://www.itstechnologies.shop/pr...MIt83668Xz9gIVmK3tCh0YLA9BEAYYAiABEgIVovD_BwE

Thinking 5kwh will be enough for the evening or a cloudy summer day. I know in the winter months it won't help much.
A big bonus for us will be not having to time heavy loads. For instance, shredding garden waste when the sun is out. A bit retentive I know!:)

Excellent. VFM.
I'm buying this to connect with the existing.

https://www.itstechnologies.shop/pr...MIt83668Xz9gIVmK3tCh0YLA9BEAYYAiABEgIVovD_BwE

Thinking 5kwh will be enough for the evening or a cloudy summer day. I know in the winter months it won't help much.
A big bonus for us will be not having to time heavy loads. For instance, shredding garden waste when the sun is out. A bit retentive I know!:)
only thing to consider is weight of battery, its 54kg, so you will probably need a friend to lug it around.

That is heavy isn't it! I've a sack barrow so that'll get a workout.:). Quite a bit of weight to hang on the wall. Does it need to be off the ground?

Thats still not heavy enough 😂. My DIY battery box weight 94kg but on wheels and just chained to the wall. Heavest part when buiding is each cell at around 5.5kg each. No lifting. The wheels are 4 shock absorbing castor wheels from ex supermarket stock trolly.The castors are rated at 100kg each, I was given 8 of them by our window cleaner for free😂

Last edited:
😂.You have a serious amount of storage there though. I'd like a bit more, but constrained by the visual aspect of it all in the living room. Also, wondering how much of the extra capacity we'd use. Just checked our average use from the grid this month and it's about 3.5kwh per day.
I can always add on further storage if we see a benefit in hindsight.:unsure:

That is heavy isn't it! I've a sack barrow so that'll get a workout.:). Quite a bit of weight to hang on the wall. Does it need to be off the ground?
Doesn't have to be off the ground, but will need some air circulation around it. You may also find the inverter whines a bit, so lounge would not be my choice to locate it.

Oh,...., that won't please the other half! I may have to rethink this.🤔.
Thanks for the heads up. What kind of volume? The sound of the desktop computer whirring away annoys her.😁

Oh,...., that won't please the other half! I may have to rethink this.🤔.
Thanks for the heads up. What kind of volume? The sound of the desktop computer whirring away annoys her.😁
high pitched whine, the sort that annoys teenagers and dogs, not overly loud, but definelty loud enough to annoy people... plus you get relays clicking and a few other sounds which you will either enjoy as the sound of money being saved, or it will drive you to distraction :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:. Think I read that the Solis inverter here doesn't have a fan. But yes I can imagine relay clicking might be a problem. Looking to see if I can put the inverter in the kitchen. Where it can compete for attention with the fridge and freezer.😁.

Constant wining in the lounge. Hmmmmm. Would make me feel at home (looks over the shoulder to see if wife's looking)

Having not heard from Western Power I called to speak to the trainee planner handling my application. Apparently he's away on courses until early July. They say they have until then before they need to tell me yes or no.
Unfortunately, that is when the balance becomes due for the equipment I have on preorder.
Are they really allowed to take that long before making their decision!?:mad:

Having not heard from Western Power I called to speak to the trainee planner handling my application. Apparently he's away on courses until early July. They say they have until then before they need to tell me yes or no.
Unfortunately, that is when the balance becomes due for the equipment I have on preorder.
Are they really allowed to take that long before making their decision!?:mad:
That's crazy....is there only one person who can make the decision?

I had UKPN clear my request in less then a day, seems outrageous they can make you wait that long.

The receptionist said that it would probably be done sooner, but that they have been inundated with applications.
You'd have thought that with the energy crisis we have, it would be a priority to get people to install capacity. It's all very frustrating!
I have emailed the trainee planner as the receptionist didn't offer to put me through to anyone else. But I emailed him last week with a question and have had no response....RUDE!!

The receptionist said that it would probably be done sooner, but that they have been inundated with applications.
You'd have thought that with the energy crisis we have, it would be a priority to get people to install capacity. It's all very frustrating!
I have emailed the trainee planner as the receptionist didn't offer to put me through to anyone else. But I emailed him last week with a question and have had no response....RUDE!!
Well at least you'll beat the October hike.... I'm just waiting on ITS to get their shipments in, Hopefully not much longer for either of us 🤞