DIY solar install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Binky, I have not had the manual for the supplied inverter yet but I am guessing or hoping that this is the same as the model I am to receive. My supplier was very firm that it could in no way send current to the national grid.

Most Off Grid Inverters have a High Voltage DC Bus that is powered by a Mains Charger, or Solar charger (or both if necessary)
There is a DC-DC converter that charges or discharges the battery to/from the HVDC bus and an Inverter that outputs AC (Off Grid) from the HVDC bus

The mains charger converts Mains to DC, only. The Inverter output can not be connected to grid.

You can get discrete components to do the same job, using the Battery instead of an HVDC bus but it's less efficient.
Solar Charge Controller charges the battery, Mains Charger charges the battery, Inverter provides AC output from the battery.

In addition some Off Grid inverters have a UPS function, which has a transfer switch to supply the AC output from the AC input instead of the inverter.

Locked to prevent resurrection (again)

Last edited by a moderator: