Does anyone use Open Office

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltimax

©CAHAGIYTYHE™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this?

It's like Microsoft office, but it's completely free!

I've been playing with it and was going to reproduce my estimating spreadsheet, then put it up in the download section for those that don't have Microsoft office.

I had it preinstalled on my PC but also have MS Office & Lotus. Found it quite fiddly to use when I tried so I unistalled it.

It comes as standard with Ubuntu. It's brilliant!!! Good for exporting files in PDF format. No problems with loading and saving files in Word format. Recommended!

I didn't realize you could open Microsoft office files with open office. Well bit pointless redoing my sheet then, lol. You learn something new everyday eh?

I've been using OpenOffice for a number of years now and have to say that I find it much better than Microsoft Office. And, as others have said, it is compatible with it.

I think Sun Microsystems were involved with it.

Intereting that most other people have found it useful. I tried it for a while, but it wasn't so good for me.

I found it slow to load (about 30 seconds) and was always having to convert the files when passing them over to someone else, as they didn't have Open Office. I found the formatting when converting to MS Office files got messed-up most of the time.

There were as few other problems I had that I don't now remember off-hand - just little niggles. In the end, I got fed up with all the screwing around; bit the bullet and went over to MS office.

LIV

I didn't realize you could open Microsoft office files with open office. Well bit pointless redoing my sheet then, lol. You learn something new everyday eh?
Same as Microsoft office you can open Corels Word perfect and Lotus office files if when loading the MS office disk you click on the relevant tabs.

Its great - I use the Mac version - Neo Office, the best thing is being able to send out PDF versions of your documents just by using the export button, something thats always painful and expensive to do in MS Office.

Its great - I use the Mac version - Neo Office, the best thing is being able to send out PDF versions of your documents just by using the export button, something thats always painful and expensive to do in MS Office.
There's a free download from Microsoft to save Office documents as PDF files

I use Open Office and have done so for the last 5 or 6 Years after totally ditching MS Office. I do recommend it where I can and a lot of people complain about the files not being compatible. This is because no-one bothers to check the file types box in the Save As box. If they did they would all see the MS office file types in there so they can all be saved as .doc, .xls etc... I have OOo set to automatically save as the MS filetypes, always have done, no problems at all.

In short, as always, it's user error.

I use Open Office and have done so for the last 5 or 6 Years after totally ditching MS Office. I do recommend it where I can and a lot of people complain about the files not being compatible. This is because no-one bothers to check the file types box in the Save As box. If they did they would all see the MS office file types in there so they can all be saved as .doc, .xls etc... I have OOo set to automatically save as the MS filetypes, always have done, no problems at all.In short, as always, it's user error.
usually mine.

:Blushing

PICNIC as they say.