doing my head in......new lights + 17th

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, ANY equipment or fittings in a bathroom should be RCD protected, in order to comply with 17th.

Further, I am also of the opinion that a MWC for a modified circuit is verifying NOT ONLY the circuit which has been altered / modified, but also the condition of the supply.

I`ve not seen a "modern" CU than can`t take an RCBo. Not saying that such an animal doesn`t exist; just that I`ve not heard of one!

I don`t see the issue here guys. If you`re altering a circuit which serves a bathroom, you provide RCD protection for it. I believe I originally posted the option of an RCD spur - problem comes when you try to find somewhere "accessible" yet "unobtrusive".

Why shouldn`t you just rcd the circuit at the board? Regs`re happy, you`re happy, and the install is :

1. Safer than it was before you arrived.

2. Easier for the next sparx, as he won`t have to post a question on here about it, as it`ll already be there.

I fail to see why everyone seems so reluctant to fit RCD's RCBO's because they HAVE to.

We've argued the toss, which is interesting in itself, and I enjoy these heated debates, but 41 posts later you still agreed with my 'yes'. ;)

The added value is now I know why the answer's yes :)

Well in some cases you will indeed be filling the house with stand alone RCDs.
Well I wouldn't...

Makes later testing a right sod cuz you will have loads of RCD's hidden all around your jobs! :(

Go & by-pass all your RCDs to Ins Res the circuit!!! no thanks:( :_|

There are a lot of households out there that have modern consumer units that are unable to take RCBO's . Would your practical solution be then to install a new consumer unit?
erm nope.. not if the CU is fine..

I would think the logical place is to pop your little standalone RCD next to the CU then if it wont fit inside??

rather than in the lounge or bedroom or hall or conservatory etc.. etc..

Easier to find & isolate for testing.! :) ;)

:)

Ultimately if it were a rewire it would be ALL RCD or RCBO protected...

and that IS the trend we will be working toward..

even Mr "none-expert-Apache" (by his own admission not meant as a derogatory statement) has sussed this basic principal out!!

oh yes.. yes... yes! RCD will do nicely :) :) ;)

I fail to see why everyone seems so reluctant to fit RCD's RCBO's because they HAVE to. We've argued the toss, which is interesting in itself, and I enjoy these heated debates, but 41 posts later you still agreed with my 'yes'. ;)

The added value is now I know why the answer's yes :)
So next time this question pops up..

you can do all the flippin postin

so i can sit back an enjoy drinkin more of KMEs beer!! :^O :^O:^O

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

So next time this question pops up..

you can do all the flippin postin

so i can sit back an enjoy drinkin more of KMEs beer!!
Well specs you raging alcy i think you have already had enough;\ :^O :^O:^O

Vats merry find of you Mr MooooooooonPiiiiGI vink I shull hev anofer one...Guiness Drink

or maybi Two?..... Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink
pmsl specs :^O :^O:^O

I love it;) :^O :x

I DON`TMy Sodding fridge is empty:( :( :( :( :(

(so is my stella bottle) :( :( :(
oh thats good..

cuz while you are walking over to get another beer..

you can pop over here & pick up all these empty bottles & cans.. (of your beer... wot I hulpd drank :p hic)...Blushing

and put them back in your recycling box...

cuz mine is full! :(

X(

(note to admin: SL is drinking so much of this stuff; and you, being an admin and all, can do anything. :x - change SL`s avatar to a "talking on the `godphone` avatar":x? :| :D ] :)

oh - BTW m8 - Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink and counting............