Domestic lighting circuit problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Langton

Reaction score
Hi all hope someone can point me in the right direction. Our downstairs lighting went out a couple of days ago but one light still works in the hall guess it's the first in the circuit I had no breakers trip and I can't see any issues with the roses its a 4 year old house and I believe the loops are in the roses I've tested with a volt device and no power to the other roses. It's a real strange thing. Thanks in advance.

Question. Has ANY work been done in the house about the time it stopped working. Yes ABSOLUTELY ANY work?

It could be that the hall light is fed from the upstairs circuit and you have in fact lost power to the downstairs circuit, it could be a circuit breaker. Post a picture of your consumer unit?

Thanks guys for the reply, so the working light is definitely on the downstairs circuit as it is on when breaker is on and upstairs breaker off, although it is switched from two different switches one that shares a switch (not gang) to upstairs landing. I believe the next rose is in the lounge I've done a continuity test to the live lounge rose and hall and didn't get a connection, also to the downstairs toilet as that would be the next option but we did have an issue with a smart wall switch in the lounge at the time it went off.

Ok thanks for the reply guys, so the hall light that works is definitely on the downstairs circuit it goes off when breaker is off, I believe it could be the cable to the next rose which I think is the lounge I did a continew20231013_172347.jpg

Right problem solved I thought I would double check the rose in another downstairs room and it only had one cable I thought strange as I thought all lights would be looped at rose so checked switch in room and as I opened it all the "looped" browns came out from the terminal, put them back and all working. Is it normal to have a mixture of rose and switch looping. I'd like to thank all those who responded I will visit again.

Right problem solved I thought I would double check the rose in another downstairs room and it only had one cable I thought strange as I thought all lights would be looped at rose so checked switch in room and as I opened it all the "looped" browns came out from the terminal, put them back and all working. Is it normal to have a mixture of rose and switch looping. I'd like to thank all those who responded I will visit again.
20231013_173126.jpg

There is no right or wrong way to wire lights. A mixture of loop at light and loop at switch is unusual, but not that rare. Loop at light does not really work with downlights so loop at switch is much better for that. I always wire to loop at switch, it just makes more sense to me.

Well done for finding it and thanks for reporting back. It is surprising how many we never hear from again and never know if they sorted ir or what the problem was.

The wiring to that switch does look unusual however, one could imagine that is a switched neutral?

Ok thanks I did wonder, yes that must be annoying when you don't hear an outcome when you make an effort to respond. I must say I've learned a lot about my homes wiring from this which is good as I want to add smart switching soon and I will now have to choose which way to do it. Thanks again all.

That switch wiring is troubling me.

You have three twin & earth cables entering that switch box. I think the two on the left are loop in and loop out and the one on the right is out to the light fitting.

If so, you have all lives joined together, and the switch in the neutral.

That is VERY dangerous. The light may appear to be off, but still has live connected and you could get a nasty shock - literally if you assumed it was off and tried to work on it.

Do others concur with my suspicion?

That switch wiring is troubling me.

You have three twin & earth cables entering that switch box. I think the two on the left are loop in and loop out and the one on the right is out to the light fitting.

That is VERY dangerous. The light may appear to be off, but still has live connected and you could get a nasty shock - literally if you assumed it was off and tried to work on it.

Yep
But what do I know...😉😇

it does look that way. i suspect he has bigger problems that a few lights not working

There is NO requirement to wire any lighting circuit in a specific way..

Providing that the circuit meets the essential safety requirements of BS7671 wiring reg's, (to protect people, property and livestock by disconnecting the supply fast enough to prevent danger).... you can connect the cables how ever you like!!!!!!

It is most often decided by a mix of:-
(a) building structure,
(b) easy of getting cables to where they need to go, {e.g access under floors/above ceilings.}
(c) shortest cable route between items that need to be connected,
(d) personal preferences/fetishes of the person installing the wiring...
(e) other options I am too lazy to consider and type!!!

A basic essential rule when working, (fault finding or extending), on any lighting circuit that you have no personal previous experience of is: "ASSUME NOTHING" until "YOU HAVE PROVED SOMETHING" about how the circuit is wired.

P.S.
That back-box & switch do appear to have an excessive amount of cables and wires pushed into individual screw terminals..
[Personally I would prefer, deeper backbox and a few miniature push-fit wago's to reduce the number of conductors into screw terminals]

Plus NO brown sleeve to indicate any "switched live" conductors....
UNLESS as previously mentioned... your wiring is switching the neutral!!!

Which as others have said is a "BIG-'NO'-'NO'"

Last edited:
On the few lighting jobs I do I prefer to loop at the switch and if feasible run a 3 core to the light to,provide a perm live ( just in case )
A) easier to connect and test
B) saves balancing on a pair of steps connecting numerous wires to shite light fittings
C) ive been doing the job for a F long time
D) see A) B) & C)

B) saves balancing on a pair of steps connecting numerous wires to shite light fittings

many lights from next are great for this - they have a 2 part connector on the light. wire up the connector on the ceiling, then plug light into it. no messing about holding the light whilst doing the wiring. should be a requirement on all lights