Done to Death!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAMOOK

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the site and I like the feel of the place, friendly and informative.

Sorry to bring up an oft asked question but there seem to be so many opposing answers so here goes.

Way back in 1998 I left the industry for greener pastures (Fire service, loved every minute!!!) with the 2360 pts 1&2 (15th edition), AM1 and the 'C' course project under my belt. I didn't sit the 'C' course exam as I was in a firehouse doing different training at the time. I worked for NG Baileys in the industry so had a broad spectrum of experience and decent apprenticeship.

I want to get back into the industry on a domestic and commercial basis, the commercial will be old fashioned construction and corporate staging events. The domestic will be working as a one man band locally.

What qualifications are a must and which are preferable?

Kind regards,

Dave.

City & Guilds 2382 (17th Edition) is one.

have you got the 2391 Inspection & Testing?

I'd say to do 2382 (17th edition) and EAL Domestic Installer Certificate initially. Given your background that should be enough to get you "in" to one of the DI schemes.

I did mine at these peoples Oldham centre:

http://www.premtrain.co.uk/

They were recommended to me and I stayed with my parents in Manchester. The training was very good. Some of the best training I've ever had of any sort (and I had plenty when I was in automotive engineering).

They do a 1 day test and inspect 'taster' which I also found useful (you get a cert from the centre, but it's not a qualification). You can then do your 2391 later when you've got back into it.

May be worth looking at each of the approved contractor bodies, their how to join info would list the essential qualifications they look for as well.

Doc H.

To get any work in the commercial/industrial sector, you will most likely need the 17th and an ECS card.