Requirements please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to be clear here Mark,

doesn’t this only work on larger jobs which require planning/building control involvement from the outset? 

If they are not involved then when is the fee paid? 

Sorry Guys, have been away. The size of the job isn't really in the frame Sharpend, it's whether the homeowner has paid a fee or not, - which is only for building control, not planning.

Otherwise the fee is paid when you notify.

That is exactly as it should have been  !     I thought I could do that when it first came in .    When employed I had a JIB Approved Elect card ....when I became self employed I changed that to an ECS  card  but none of that meant anything to my Local Building Control  .  

At that time you often had the builder ...thinking he could save a few bob...do his own electrics , no knowledge of our Regs of course  so you'd think  ,,,,100% improvement , a JIB Approved Electrician is doing it now  .......but no...they won't accept him /me as competent  for house bashing . 

I remember doing  a job with an electrical design engineer  at the time of Part Pee , highly qualified etc   ,  he wasn't deemed "Competent" to sign off  some woe work at his own house .  :C

I was also told that the LBC  couldn't cope with all the Part Pee  notifications coming in and were deleting it all . 

This makes me wonder ,  at first they were taking our certs away to photocopy .....  then they were just looking at the customer copy ....last one I did was all passed off , stamped & sealed  ................eight months  later I realised  we had tested it , filled in the cert and it was still in my pad .      

Oh yes, right at the start of Part P the Building Control officers were running around all over the place, frightened of their own shadow. Wouldn't accept any qualifications of any sort, - they simply didn't know what they were looking for.

It started to change locally for me when I pointed out to them that if they weren't prepared to accept my qualifications, then the onus was still upon them, out of the Building Control fee paid by the homeowner, to verify the works as satisfactory. And that any certificate I issue would be just for the homeowner, not for LABC.

I think these days they are just signing the whole job off without really looking, since the (latest) guidelines came out there's a lot less works that are actually notifiable now.

Daft really, extending a circuit, - not notifiable, making a new circuit from C.U. (often a better option ;)  ) - notifiable. Yet it's the same thing really.

Strange you say all that ....last notifiable I did  ,  they didn't appear to be bothered about a cert  .   It was proved when  8 months later  I was going back through my certs book   and found I'd made it out  but never given it to the customer . 

Latest posts