Down Lights Again!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Have a customer with 24 downlights all are mr16's on transformers and 50% are failing.

The fittings are just cheap nonsense, not enclosed or with hoods and the wiring looks a bit Roy Rogers.

The customer wants to change to LED but not sure if I can do it without changing the fittings?

Essentially I am just changing the lamps & removing the transformers but am unsure by doing this I would be contravening regulations?

I will hit the books later but just thought I would throw it out there for now.

:)

MR16  X 12v  lamps  !!!      The Devil's work !!!       Replace fittings with Fire rated GU10  X 240v  type  and fit mains LED lamps . 

BD,

Must be heat/insulation making the MR16s/TXs fail - I've had 12  in my kitchen which have ran for 11 years (admittedly... I don't let the wife use them much - you should hear how she complains at wearing my head torch)... Must get round to swapping out for LED GU10s.. 

As already said, I'd agree with swapping out the 12V halogens for LED GU10's - you can use the same fittings but I always attach an earth fly-lead to the body of the fitting as they probably won't be double insulated as LV fittings.

While I'm on the subject of LEDs... Many of the better quality lamps boast a 3 year warranty. This is a great selling point whilst quoting for a job... But, It's a  pain in the arm when you're called back to job two and a half years later because they've got a 'flasher'...

I only ever say a 12 month guarantee - once bitten...

Darren.

Thanks stoneman, the fittings have been in years, cables all black n red and no RCD in sight. The bathroom lights look like jam jars ;)

Normally recommend megaman par16 gu10's :)

Fly leading sounds like its gonna be a right pain, most of the fittings are just metal rings with springs :(

BD,

Must be heat/insulation making the MR16s/TXs fail - I've had 12  in my kitchen which have ran for 11 years (admittedly... I don't let the wife use them much - you should hear how she complains at wearing my head torch)... Must get round to swapping out for LED GU10s.. 

As already said, I'd agree with swapping out the 12V halogens for LED GU10's - you can use the same fittings but I always attach an earth fly-lead to the body of the fitting as they probably won't be double insulated as LV fittings.

While I'm on the subject of LEDs... Many of the better quality lamps boast a 3 year warranty. This is a great selling point whilst quoting for a job... But, It's a  pain in the arm when you're called back to job two and a half years later because they've got a 'flasher'...

I only ever say a 12 month guarantee - once bitten...

Darren.

With the type of fitting Ducky is on about its just a metal ring holding the lamp to the ceiling. Any GU10 lampholder used in this situation should be double insulated anyhow so there is no need to bond to the retaining ring.

So just so I am understanding this right as I am a bit slow today :) and on my speed read of this I like the sound of it.

We are talking about getting rid of the MR16 lamps.

Get rid of the transformers.

Get a pack of GU10 lamp connectors and connect up.

Put GU10 LED lamps into the same fitting.

Never thought about about doing this but as I say i like the sound of it.

They always say it was a qualified electrician who done it....

My reply today was... well if he was qualified why are all the metal fittings in the house live when you put the toilet light on.?

Derinately think you should be arrested for that :slap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts