Decent external PIR sensor with sensitivity adjustment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Anyone able to recommend one that has the senstivity adjustment control, doesn't seem to be offered by many these days.

Replaced some PIR lanterns for someone either side of garage door (had previously fitted some cheapys he sourced himself where one kept triggering by itself) with some KSR ones that the wholesaler said they'd not had any issues with them being returned (I asked them first). Guess what - triggering all the time, just one initially, swapped it out, same again. Only lux and delay adjustment. I suspect that the issue is that the place is on the edge of the village and the PIR looks outwards towards a field the other side of the driveway and its all open to the wind. Customer says a neighbour has got some fittings with the same issue.

Masking the sensor doesn't seem to help, I did some covers to fit over the lens on the 3D printer with different options for exposed window - no difference

Tried asking KSR technical if there is anything I can do to reduce the sensitivity, any resistor that could be changed or anything but they can't bothered and reply that they are unsure.... they are the f***ing manufacturer for gods sake.

So down to putting in a separate PIR sensor, that can be angled and hopefully with sensitivity adjustment, and then I've got to try and disable the ones on the fittings, I'm hoping that just turning time upto full and lux to day will do it, as the PIR and LED driver are one PCB inside, and again I did ask KSR technical if there was a mosfet I could bridge across for this, or if I could get a schematic (got the reply that I cant see, all appears integrated, and can't give you schematic for senstivity of information reasons) So I'm not sure why they have a technical department, as they seem to not be able to provide any erm... technical information.

So any recomendations on a PIR now I've finished moaning!

After far too many false triggering problems....
I stopped installing any lights with integral PIR's..
(Maybe 6 or 7 years back now... or possibly longer???)

However... whilst certainly NOT top-o-the-range-kit...
ZINK, (ZINC), PIR's DO have a sensitivity adjustment...

e.g. From Screw-Bits...
Or.. From Troll-Station...

I have one of these working the outside light on my garden shed at the far end of the garden, that that has been working ok for many years...
And I've fitted a few for some paying customers..
Which are still working OK.

BUT...
The only adjustment I have made..
Is to drill a small drainage hole in the bottom under-side of the PIR....
as a few years back I had problems with some sensors filing up with water following heavy rain!!!!

As a side note...
One of my key-considerations for quite a few years now when supplying any kit...
is not just cost & reliability..

BUT...
How easy is it to return faulty items and get a refund...
So in general I cannot be arsed with "on-line-only", "web-shop" order's from obscure suppliers!!
ScrewBits and TrollStation have been pretty good so far on giving refunds for faulty kit!!!

Ideally a mains operated PIR should point at a downwards angle so it can not see too far, as often devices that you can adjust the "range/sensitivity" fail and see nothing.

I recently had to change a few external mains PIRs and I used the ones from screwfix, the original ones they sold lasted roughly 8 years before the sun got too much for them (It makes the polythene lens brittle, so it cracks.........) now they have the ones special location linked to. I tried a few of them, only to find that they would activate when ever they wanted to, I even covered one with tinfoil, so it can not see (They can see through polythene and some other plastics) it still activated. I tried some from an online supplier, same problems, I have come to the conclusion that most mains operated PIRs are now made by the same company to a cheap price.

Let us know how you get on.

Kerching posted last year saying KSR PIRs are ..............see for yourself click here

Steinel, I just looked here it they get mixed reviews, some say it's good some say not, but it does have a 3 year guarantee, one thing is for sure, it is not cheap

Even the Steniel units don't seem to have a sensitivity adjustment, unless there is a separate range that do?

Screwfix zinc 9.99 pirs. Fitted loads and returns dead easy if required.

If a customer wants an integrated lamp/sensor unit they buy them themselves and I charge to replace every visit absolutely detest them.

Anyone able to recommend one that has the senstivity adjustment control, doesn't seem to be offered by many these days.

Replaced some PIR lanterns for someone either side of garage door (had previously fitted some cheapys he sourced himself where one kept triggering by itself) with some KSR ones that the wholesaler said they'd not had any issues with them being returned (I asked them first). Guess what - triggering all the time, just one initially, swapped it out, same again. Only lux and delay adjustment. I suspect that the issue is that the place is on the edge of the village and the PIR looks outwards towards a field the other side of the driveway and its all open to the wind. Customer says a neighbour has got some fittings with the same issue.

Masking the sensor doesn't seem to help, I did some covers to fit over the lens on the 3D printer with different options for exposed window - no difference

Tried asking KSR technical if there is anything I can do to reduce the sensitivity, any resistor that could be changed or anything but they can't bothered and reply that they are unsure.... they are the f***ing manufacturer for gods sake.

So down to putting in a separate PIR sensor, that can be angled and hopefully with sensitivity adjustment, and then I've got to try and disable the ones on the fittings, I'm hoping that just turning time upto full and lux to day will do it, as the PIR and LED driver are one PCB inside, and again I did ask KSR technical if there was a mosfet I could bridge across for this, or if I could get a schematic (got the reply that I cant see, all appears integrated, and can't give you schematic for senstivity of information reasons) So I'm not sure why they have a technical department, as they seem to not be able to provide any erm... technical information.

So any recomendations on a PIR now I've finished moaning!
Denmans Steeple PIRs 110 or 180 degree. Controls for lux, time & sensitivity.
Black or white, pretty sure they are made by Eterna.
I've fitted quite a few.

The one on the front of my house has done at least 8 years. In fact I installed it because the integrated PIR in a 1/2 lantern was useless. I bypassed the internal wiring so it now only switches with the standalone PIR.

A microwave sensor has its advantages, but also disadvantages, they are generally less prone to "false activations" but likewise do not "see" the same as a PIR does.
Unless it is for a specific problem / reason, I would stick with a PIR

Last edited: