Decent Outdoor Bulkheads with PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob23

Reaction score
Hi folks, lighting question.. if anyone had experience of some outdoor lights to recommend, be appreciated!

Task - light up path with PIR lights (1 or 2 lights)

Location - Dark. Approx 7m long path - with a two story house wall along the entire length of the path. This wall is where the lights can be fixed, wired internally, not clipped. Pedestrians will walk immediately under the lights typically. Path has a 6ft gate one end, with two steps almost immediately after you’ve opened the gate to walk along the path.

I can..

1. Single PIR light, central mount

2. Single non PIR light, central mount, PIR x2 at each end of the wall

3. 2x PIR light, each end of wall, with linkable sensors so they both switch on

4. 2x single non PIR, 2x linkable sensors mounted each end of wall.

I’m trying to achieve the best possible pickup, so you’re not halfway along the path before they switch on..

decorative lighting not required - eyelid bulkheads or LED floods I think.

Anyone any ideas? Obvs the single light with built in PIR is easiest, but early switch either end of the path is paramount!

Experience would be great here, thanks if you can!

Hi folks, lighting question.. if anyone had experience of some outdoor lights to recommend, be appreciated!

Task - light up path with PIR lights (1 or 2 lights)

Location - Dark. Approx 7m long path - with a two story house wall along the entire length of the path. This wall is where the lights can be fixed, wired internally, not clipped. Pedestrians will walk immediately under the lights typically. Path has a 6ft gate one end, with two steps almost immediately after you’ve opened the gate to walk along the path.

I can..

1. Single PIR light, central mount

2. Single non PIR light, central mount, PIR x2 at each end of the wall

3. 2x PIR light, each end of wall, with linkable sensors so they both switch on

4. 2x single non PIR, 2x linkable sensors mounted each end of wall.

I’m trying to achieve the best possible pickup, so you’re not halfway along the path before they switch on..

decorative lighting not required - eyelid bulkheads or LED floods I think.

Anyone any ideas? Obvs the single light with built in PIR is easiest, but early switch either end of the path is paramount!

Experience would be great here, thanks if you can!
I'd go for option 4, two PIR sensors for earliest detection, two lights for redundancy (even LEDs have been known to die!).

2x PIR and a single light higher up.
I wouldn't.

A single light will fail when you don't want it to, but more to the point, the higher up it is the more the light will spread to places it will be annoying (Seems to be the norm around here) I would suggest you have two PIRs and two lights, wire the lights/pirs in parallel.

If it helps, I have recently taken down a lot of pir's that I had, due to age they were failing (literally breaking apart) and I have yet to find one that is reliable. :(

In the mean time, I have considered getting one of these.

lighthouseman.jpg
(From "The lighthouse man.com)

But it will need a housing and transformer

Latest posts