Drill taps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armeg UK

Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey TEF, drill taps eh? Any one use them?
Drill tap.jpg
If so, what do you use them mainly for ? (I know, I know - drilling and tapping) I was thinking more specific applications.

And what sizes do you use?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and be stored in my freebie distribution bank😉

Phil - after information as always!

I have seen them used on the likes of the American car restoration shows, but it just doesn’t sit right with me. Reason being we were always taught to go forward about 3/4 turn then back 1/4 of a turn to break the chip. Of course it might be that things have changed in the 45 years since I was taught and this might be the way forward.

I have seen them used on the likes of the American car restoration shows, but it just doesn’t sit right with me. Reason being we were always taught to go forward about 3/4 turn then back 1/4 of a turn to break the chip. Of course it might be that things have changed in the 45 years since I was taught and this might be the way forward.
Yeah, that's the way I was shown too - (Phil, 53 years old, dyed in the wool old school engineer).

The new technology available nowadays with specific regard to materials and heat treatment processes coupled with chip-breaking features allows these things to be used with power tools - even impact drivers😱

Rethreading back boxes is about the only time I use a tap, and I prefer to do that by hand. These strike me as something steel erectors / industrial sparks might use.
Agreed, I think we would be looking at industrial sparks mainly.
But, the products would fit in nicely with our Fab4 driving range we are pushing at the minute😊

yes. roller shutter guides. often M6 at the back of the guide into the angle / box or whatever. sometimes need to rethread a hole so its either one of those in an extension bit of you need to take the entire guide off to use a normal tap

for almost everything else, its a normal tap anywhere from M4-24

I don't use taps or dies for that matter as frequently as I did do 20 - 30 years ago although the go to nowadays seems to be rivnuts, ok I do have a 3.5 and 4 mm tap in my testing kit for those problem boxes you often get when second fixing

I could see drill taps being useful but a lot comes down to the cost and the convienence of them against the traditional drill and tap

I use M5 and M6 taps for bonding RSJs in properties where cables have to pass over them.

CT cutting spray and my drill on slow speed. You get used to feeling the point where you have to reverse it clear it out.

Never used the drill taps just use a drill then the tap.

hello phil and all,
We use drill taps in security installs for mounting vibration detectors to backplates into ip65 boxes with ss m4 security screws , being hex shank they work great for getting into tight spaces/corners with my multi/offset head milwaukee drill

Latest posts