Drilling Joists

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What do you lot use for drilling joists. A normal drill will only drill at a down angle rather than straight through.

Do you use angle drills?

And if so can anyone recommend their ones inc Make/Model

Thank You

I use an angle drill. Its only a cheapish ryobi but never let me down. It can struggle with the irwin blue bits. They cut too fiercely and require too much torque for the ryobi.

I use a stubby auger bit in my Dewalt 12v does the job and drills squarely :put the kettle on

I've got a 18v Dewalt... got it as part of a deal with my 18v combi drill 5 years ago..Does Irwin type bits (on low speed) or standard flat bits no problem.
Ive got the DW 18V Combi drill too but have you got the 18V angle drill as im watching a few on feebay and if so do you recommend it as ive already got 3 batteries and charger. Also looking at the dewalt light to go with the batteries too.

Cheers

I use a stubby auger bit in my Dewalt 12v does the job and drills squarely :put the kettle on
Thanks for replying

Stubby auger bit - what sizes do you use please for 10mm cable (being the largest needed?)

Thanks

i go for my 240v sds drill with a chuck in, it flies through. on a slight angle though but its ok, the electricity flows better down hill, you get better zs results.

All depends on how many holes your drilling. I use standard cordless with short auger bits for a few holes but for lots of holes will use my makita angle drill which is 110volt saves ruining cordless.

i go for my 240v sds drill with a chuck in, it flies through. on a slight angle though but its ok, the electricity flows better down hill, you get better zs results.
I'm sure labc see it that way too ;) .

Matty,

If you've got the batteries then it makes sense to get one you can swap around..

In all the time I've had it I've never had a problem with it... note the chuck is slightly smaller than the combi drill

EDIT..

Just had a look on fleabay... crikey I got a good deal!!

think it was

Use the Bosch 110v ordinary drill and honk them through at whatever angle presents itself. Use auger bits, flat bits which I can sharpen if needed and those new red things, forgotten what they're called.

instead of buying the expensive angle drills, use your normal keyed chuck drill and buy a decent angle chuck(mines atlas copco). They are fairly rare and can be costly but are very good and makes your cheapish drill as good as the expensive angle drills. I made mine from two items bought on ebay came to