Dual RCD CU?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossi74

Reaction score
Hi guys, can someone please tell me if a house built in 2007 would have needed a dual rcd cu/( every circuit on rcd)? It's a TN-C-S supply.

I'm new to self employment. I am qualified, done 17th, am member of NICEIC domestic installer scheme ( full scope )

Thought this would be a good idea joining a forum and especially having this app on phone.

To whom it may concern: did you consider some people have had different backgrounds in this trade.

Not all of us have had their own business and no domestic experience.

Can anybody answer my question please or do I need to abandon this forum?

its unlikely to have needed an RCD on everything, but like i said, there is no blanket 'yes' or 'no'

same as i can go re-wire a house tomorrow and not use any RCD's in the board

to answer your question

there was no requirement for dual rcd boards to be used in 2007

some guys used split load, some used rcd incomer,

so if you have come across a board that is not dual rcd its not a problem as long as it conforms to the requirements of the 16th edition

but you be fullscope and all that would know

P.S.

get off your high horse mate

Hi guys, can someone please tell me if a house built in 2007 would have needed a dual rcd cu/( every circuit on rcd)? It's a TN-C-S supply.
I'm new to self employment. I am qualified, done 17th, am member of NICEIC domestic installer scheme ( full scope ) Thought this would be a good idea joining a forum and especially having this app on phone.

To whom it may concern: did you consider some people have had different backgrounds in this trade.

I shall try to answer your To who it may concern point Rossi74. Hopefully then you will be able to understand the occasional frustrations and despair from competent electricians when newly qualified persons come onto forums such as this asking what appear to be very basic questions, more typical of a student at college rather than someone working out on real jobs.

Irrespective of what anybodies background is, if somebody professes to be competent enough to work alone in a customers home, has passed the relevant C&G courses has working knowledge and experience of current wiring regulations, 17th edition 2008, then to the understanding of most competent electricians that person would be well aware that under certain criteria a home built in 2010 wired to 17th edition does not require full RCD protection on every circuit. As such it is blindingly obvious that installations wired to earlier editions of BS7671 would not have a blanket yes/no answer to such a question. This should have been covered in the 17th edition course you have passed.

You of course are free to leave or join whatever forums you wish. But I would just say the forum has some very competent qualified persons who give up their time free of charge, to share their experience with others. I suspect it would be more of your loss than the forums loss should you choose to abandon the forum. It is often a trait of human nature for people to be a little more lenient and helpful to those who are at lower student levels of knowledge, than those who should know basics if they are now considered competent to work alone with a product that can kill people. The forum is an excellent place to pass on and gain knowledge, sometimes answers can be blunt and to the point, just as it is when out in the real world working on site. But we do try to ensure language and general manners are maintained

You say that you are an NICEIC DI, did you know you can have the NIC logo added to your user name by following the link below.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to self employment. I am qualified, done 17th, am member of NICEIC domestic installer scheme ( full scope ) Thought this would be a good idea joining a forum and especially having this app on phone.

I shall try to answer your To who it may concern point Rossi74. Hopefully then you will be able to understand the occasional frustrations and despair from competent electricians when newly qualified persons come onto forums such as this asking what appear to be very basic questions, more typical of a student at college rather than someone working out on real jobs.

Irrespective of what anybodies background is, if somebody professes to be competent enough to work alone in a customers home, has passed the relevant C&G courses has working knowledge and experience of current wiring regulations, 17th edition 2008, then to the understanding of most competent electricians that person would be well aware that under certain criteria a home built in 2010 wired to 17th edition does not require full RCD protection on every circuit. As such it is blindingly obvious that installations wired to earlier editions of BS7671 would not have a blanket yes/no answer to such a question. This should have been covered in the 17th edition course you have passed.

You of course are free to leave or join whatever forums you wish. But I would just say the forum has some very competent qualified persons who give up their time free of charge, to share their experience with others. I suspect it would be more of your loss than the forums loss should you choose to abandon the forum. It is often a trait of human nature for people to be a little more lenient and helpful to those who are at lower student levels of knowledge, than those who should know basics if they are now considered competent to work alone with a product that can kill people. The forum is an excellent place to pass on and gain knowledge, sometimes answers can be blunt and to the point, just as it is when out in the real world working on site. But we do try to ensure language and general manners are maintained

You say that you are an NICEIC DI, did you know you can have the NIC logo added to your user name by following the link below.

Doc H.
Thank you Doc H, Fair point you making there. I just like to add that safety is always top of my list when doing my job and it goes without saying that I'm well aware of the dangers. Just like my math at school I cannot remember all the regs, in hindsight I should of got my BRB out. I will continue to use the forum :)

I'm using this forum on the iPhone app and there was no link below as you mentioned Doc H.

Thank you Doc H, Fair point you making there. I just like to add that safety is always top of my list when doing my job and it goes without saying that I'm well aware of the dangers. Just like my math at school I cannot remember all the regs, in hindsight I should of got my BRB out. I will continue to use the forum :) I'm using this forum on the iPhone app and there was no link below as you mentioned Doc H.
its in his signature. probably too big (image) to fit onto your phone?

Rossi74,

just as now, no house, dwelling or any electrical installation has ever up until now required a dual RCD board in order to comply with the regulations known as BS7671,

and unless there is a significant change in the regs as they now stand, then for the foreseeable lifespan then there will be no major change in the status quo until at least the 18th edition at the earliest.

Hi All, Just adding my 2penneth,

Think the 16th said that ANY Sockets that could be used for external work should be RCD protected and the 17th have gone mad ( in a good way ) saying that other circuits ie bathrooms etc should have RCD protection. Back in 2007 i think it would of been unusual to find a dual RCD board especially if you consider nuisance tripping. IMHO

Tony

Hi All, Just adding my 2penneth,Think the 16th said that ANY Sockets that could be used for external work should be RCD protected and the 17th have gone mad ( in a good way ) saying that other circuits ie bathrooms etc should have RCD protection. Back in 2007 i think it would of been unusual to find a dual RCD board especially if you consider nuisance tripping. IMHO

Tony
As you say Tony, that would be true for TN-C-S as the OP has. But certainly dual RCD on TT's were still common pre 17th edition. I am not convinced every TT installations has an abundance of nuisance tripping problems, the term is over used in my opinion.

Doc H.

I have never seen a TT without every circuit having RCD protection,

and a lot of the time simply a front end one at that.

nuisance tripping seems to be a new fangled word for having too many appliances that are substandard and leak too much to earth, (exemption being those designed in that manner, IT stuff etc.)

I have never seen a TT without every circuit having RCD protection,and a lot of the time simply a front end one at that.

nuisance tripping seems to be a new fangled word for having too many appliances that are substandard and leak too much to earth, (exemption being those designed in that manner, IT stuff etc.)
Or the new fangled word for energising RCD protected circuits without prior testing for any shared neutrals or low insulation resistances due to damaged cables. Nuisance tripping would be a faulty oversensitive RCD, which should be easily rectified by replacing the faulty RCD, after checking all the standard operating trip times and preferable with a ramp test as well.

Doc H