Dyson Vac Tripping Rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they need a Gtech then. ;)

Have you tried disconnecting everything and trying the vacuum cleaner with only 1 circuit connected?

Yes, 50/50 wether the RCD trips, always trips with both on 

When you disconnected everything did than include the neutrals, (or was it just turn MCBs off). remember all circuits sharing an RCD have their neutral & earths all commoned together at the N & E bar at the CU.

Doc H.

2 circuits, 1 rcd (split load), already knew the problem was on them. V sorry but no further on

All of the vacs trip his rcd, mines a Miele his is Dyson, I'm still keeping mine

But all ir tests come back >299

Has been working fine up until 2 weeks ago, no alterations, no changes not even a picture put up then suddenly starts to trip. So not a fault from when installed but something breaking down. Would have expected it to be the RCD getting sensitive but changed that and nothing changed. Insulation and N-E faults should show with IR tests but they all come back clear

I've had jobs where everything tests out OK but something still causes issues. Usually the only way to find it is process of elimination and trying things whether they make sense or not. You cannot just say to the customer "all results >299 so dunno", you are the one being paid to find the fault.

But all ir tests come back >299

Has been working fine up until 2 weeks ago, no alterations, no changes not even a picture put up then suddenly starts to trip. So not a fault from when installed but something breaking down. Would have expected it to be the RCD getting sensitive but changed that and nothing changed. Insulation and N-E faults should show with IR tests but they all come back clear

Stop assuming you have tested all of the options. Go back to basics and prove everything related to the RCD. I think the Dyson is leading you to wrong conclusions.

First,  Draw out a typical earth fault path that an RCD can detect, L to E, or N to E. Does the Dyson have any parts connected back to the earth terminal? or is it a double insulated class II appliance.  If no earth connection then are there any other appliances connected to the circuit which could have a N - E fault, that current flowing when the Dyson is switched on could flow back along. Up the N of the heating system for example then back down to E via a faulty heating component?

Remember, when doing your IR tests I presume you have all appliances disconnected. So if you have now proved the hard wiring you need to start looking at all other connected appliances that could introduce an earth fault to allow 23mA or more to flow (if 23 was your ramp test trip current). Could be multiple faults 10mA here, 15mA there. 

Doc H.  

I would

check and test supply, all connections at board.

Check polarity and that RCDs and cables are physically connected to the correct bits.

RCD ramp and trip tests.

get r1 , r2, rN  readings, on each circuit.

IR test on each circuit L-E, N-E, L-N,  with the E connected to earth bar.

IR test between the circuits L(c1)-L(c2)

Zs at socket outlets

IR test the Dyson at the pins.

Sounds like you have already covered most of this, just saying what i would do.

Im interested to findout what the problem is

Have you checked all the sockets are wired correctly and you don't have a N E crossover somewhere, if it's doubled then continuity check won't pick it up, you need to visually confirm it. 

I'd suggest disconnecting all the circuits from the RCD side (live & Neutral) except the one the cleaner is plugged into... doe it still trip... if so disconnect them all and nake up a temporary socket on a board and connect into one of the ways and try the cleaner on that, so that it is the only thing on the RCD.

Ok, i think you have some sort of neutral fault.. You have done "the usual" IR tests to no avail...

Now for something completely different...

Pull all neutrals out of the neutral bar with all mcbs off. Now IR test, taking each neutral one at a time and testing betwenn it and the others PARTICULARLY between ones that have circuits fed by the "other" rcd... [Can you see where I am going with this and why??]

I am only a welder, so tin helmet firmly on.... It is what i would do anyway..

john...

Presumed there were two?? Teach me to read post properly!! Anyway, makes no difference, neutral fault between neutrals on the RCD side of the board and the "other" side [or they are mixed up....]

john..

Last edited by a moderator: