Dyson Vac Tripping Rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update

Customer went away this morning for a couple of days so haven't been able to get back. The problem started about 1 1/2 ago and seems to be getting steadily worse. In a strange way I'm thinking the getting worse should be helpful as should mean it will become easier to find. As I've done IR tests against the non RCD side "globally" I'm ruling out a cross between the 2 sides due to insulation breakdown there. I'm now thinking its got to be a n other appliance that is breaking down and only shows itself when the surge from the vac hits as this seems to be the most logical suggestions from here (many thanks all) So its going to be a session of turn all off and turn them on 1 by 1 turning on the vac til it starts tripping.

Just turning off is no good as has been said several times but you should already know this if you are supposed to be an electrician.

Yes they're all going to be unplugged, that way I'll only introduce one potential difference at a time rather than leaving potentially loads of earth faults still available. I kind of know that, however after lunch and a few drinks we don't all necessarily put down the exact procedure we will follow and sometimes I call lamps, bulbs as the general public understand that. Oh and yes I am an electrician and was using the forum to bounce ideas around as we all haven't found every different fault that this wonderful profession can throw at us and although I have been an electrician for many years now, I am more than happy, in fact actively seek, ideas and knowledge from other electricians to improve mine.  

Yes they're all going to be unplugged
Not what I meant. You said you have already isolated all circuits, but unless you have actually disconnected all conductors from the CU then you haven't and all of your testing so far will have been of limited use.

I call lamps, bulbs as the general public understand that
Only because people keep calling lamps bulbs. You're an enabler!

Not what I meant. You said you have already isolated all circuits, but unless you have actually disconnected all conductors from the CU then you haven't and all of your testing so far will have been of limited use.
OK sorry, already been down that path and would naturally work from there so as to only introduce one possible fault, all becomes a bit pointless if you add many different poss faults at once.

Only because people keep calling lamps bulbs. You're an enabler!
Being a father has taught me to pick my battles. A lot of the work I do is call outs for a local housing trust, when you are faced with a "The light in the kitchen, hallway and my bedroom just stopped working" and its just blown lamps or "I've got no power" only to find out they've got no money on the meter (lamps=yesterday meter=at least once a month) the concept of a "bulb" actually being a lamp would have these people on the floor behaving like jellies. These people are prime candidates for care in the community (not all housing trust tenants, just this level of IQ). Oh and the only other time would be with my local wholesale manager as he has a sign up and I can watch the anger build up inside as I ask and also for thingys and wotsits then turn to one of the other and say "What do you call a (insert correct name)?" then carry on with thingys and wotsits to him (not completely sensible as he sorts the discount)

BTW Happy Xmas all

OK sorry, already been down that path and would naturally work from there so as to only introduce one possible fault, all becomes a bit pointless if you add many different poss faults at once.

Being a father has taught me to pick my battles. A lot of the work I do is call outs for a local housing trust, when you are faced with a "The light in the kitchen, hallway and my bedroom just stopped working" and its just blown lamps or "I've got no power" only to find out they've got no money on the meter (lamps=yesterday meter=at least once a month) the concept of a "bulb" actually being a lamp would have these people on the floor behaving like jellies. These people are prime candidates for care in the community (not all housing trust tenants, just this level of IQ). Oh and the only other time would be with my local wholesale manager as he has a sign up and I can watch the anger build up inside as I ask and also for thingys and wotsits then turn to one of the other and say "What do you call a (insert correct name)?" then carry on with thingys and wotsits to him (not completely sensible as he sorts the discount)

BTW Happy Xmas all
Sounds a bit like what I do....

I get a lot of these bulbs keep blowing usually poundshop quality lamps!

Merry Christmas & happy new year!

Yes they're all going to be unplugged, that way I'll only introduce one potential difference at a time rather than leaving potentially loads of earth faults still available. I kind of know that, however after lunch and a few drinks we don't all necessarily put down the exact procedure we will follow and sometimes I call lamps, bulbs as the general public understand that. Oh and yes I am an electrician and was using the forum to bounce ideas around as we all haven't found every different fault that this wonderful profession can throw at us and although I have been an electrician for many years now, I am more than happy, in fact actively seek, ideas and knowledge from other electricians to improve mine.  
Does the rcd trip immeditely when the dyson is plugged in or immeditely when the button is pressed on the vac ?

Ok, traced the fault to the central heating system, as I'm not gas safe reg, the clients plumber is coming out later this week so we can go through the boiler etc to find the exact part.

Ok, traced the fault to the central heating system, as I'm not gas safe reg, the clients plumber is coming out later this week so we can go through the boiler etc to find the exact part.
You don't need to be gas safe to establish if the boiler is actually the fault or not. Your average gas safe plumber will be stumped if you tell him the boiler is tripping the rcd and needs fixing.

With central heating isolated, red does not trip

Going back to help diagnose faulty part and let him do the dirty work while I check the bits he pulls out