EAL LEVEL 3 NVQ

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what they are looking for is your ability to use the resources available whether that be the MI's, technical data sheets, the regs etc. 

You need to give an example of when you may need to refer to this data and which specific data you'd need. i.e. When I was wiring for the heating system which is a 's' plan I referred to the Honeywell website for the technical data sheet that gave a detailed wiring diagram for terminations. 

The situation could be installing conduit/trunking and you refer to calcs for number of cables etc, etc. 

Quick question ? Are the knowledge questions separate to the job write ups ? Just a lot of questions seem repeated 

Also some questions seem a bit vague.

Like this 

describe the purpose of the components which have been replaced/maintained

like what components are they talkinh about . So u refer to a job write up or do u just use an example ?

Quick question ? Are the knowledge questions separate to the job write ups ? Just a lot of questions seem repeated 

Also some questions seem a bit vague.

Like this 

describe the purpose of the components which have been replaced/maintained

like what components are they talkinh about . So u refer to a job write up or do u just use an example ?
Lets imagine you get called to the works canteen, there are some lights not working, you check the circuit and discover that one of the switches has failed. You replace a one gang one way 10A metalclad switch used to control a bank of lights over the serving counter which failed due to normal wear and tear.

The underlined bit should be a clear enough explanation of the piece of equipment replaced, it's purpose and the reason why it needed replacing. If you had the same type of switch in a damp environment and it had failed due to moisture getting in (ingress) then you may word it something like this, replaced one gang 1 way 10A metalclad switch used to control lights in a loading bay, switch failed due to moisture ingress and replaced with one gang one way IP rated switch to prevent further problems.

Don't overthink it but avoid leaving things out, if the question is poorly written then try and be clear, if you rang your boss you wouldn't just say "I've been and fixed it" you'd ring him and say something like, "I fixed that job, it was a metalclad switch that had got damp in it, so I've replaced it with a waterproof one, so it won't happen again". That's all these people are looking for, they're not trying to catch you out, one of the biggest problems you get in a factory environment is poor paperwork. It's 1 am on your first nightshift after a 2 week break, the radio goes, "electrician to machine shop, cnc machine down", you trot over there and the operator tells you it's the 5 time it's broken down in a week. Now here's the problem, you go to the maintenance log and find out that Harry, the spark who's been out to it the last 5 times has just wrote down " 20.15 breakdown on CNC machine, 21.00 machine back on line". No indication of what he did to get it working again, now if the whole history for the machine is like this then you are screwed, any fault on any machine only has a limited number of causes, you need to know what has been done to point you in the right direction.

Ok, so you are on a night shift, I've been on the day shift, you pick a call up to a drive motor not running. This motor has 3 fuses, an isolator, a safety switch and a contactor, you look in the log and read, " 10.25, breakdown on drive motor, replaced contactor and 3 fuses, Phil". now you have a history to go from, the machine has failed again and being as how the contactor and fuses have been replaced today it's unlikely to be the contactor, you can concentrate your efforts elsewhere. also as well as helping out the next person who gets called to a fault this provides a record of what parts have been replaced, sometimes the number and cost of parts may influence whether a machine gets repaired or replaced.

Cheers for reply mate  massive help 👍🏼 think I'm overthinking then  
Well don't it's not good, the only thing you should overthink is whether or not you need a beer after a carp day at work, invariably the correct answer is yes. good luck mate, keep coming back with the questions, it's the best way to learn.