Earth leakage help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane B

Reaction score
Hi guys. n gals lol

Got an issue with some operated 13a plugged machines tripping out rcbo's on the ring. 

What's best practice for checking earth Leakage.   megger type or equivalent meter clamped around the cpc earth only. 

@Canoeboy, I think we have the Di-Log DL6507 one, I have a Megger DCM300E also.

Ampsayman, don't clamp the earth, clamp both live conductors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff guys. megger seems way high. clamp both live conductors. phase & neutral .  ??? thought just leakage to earth was best for checking ????. 

thought just leakage to earth was best for checking

Pretty much every installation has parallel earth paths once all bonding is in place. Consider a scenario where your leakage problem is finding an easier route to earth without using the bit of the CPC where you have your clamp meter. Or is sharing its path with your bit of CPC and two other parallel routes. So unless you clamp every possible earth path you will not be reading the full leakage current. Whereas the current difference between the two live conductors will be the total leakage whichever path it is following to earth.

Doc H

agree with above, no point clamping the cpc. You need to clamp what the RCD is seeing, i.e. difference between L and N

Latest posts