Earth monitoring light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Given that a lot of the time when we find problems such as a loss of earth, or a high earth loop value it's quite often down to the supply cable (incomer) I wonder why nobody has come up with a module to fit in a CU and monitor the earth, it wouldn't be that hard to do and I feel it would have a better acceptance than those stupid AFDD's that are being pushed at us.

I have one of those Kewtech test plugs, that as well as testing the wiring configuration also tests the loop value, now I know it only has 3 lights, red, orange and green, and the lights come on at different values (iirc the green lights sub1.5ohms). Now I'm well aware that they are no substitute for a proper meter and a measured value when doing an inspection, but they are useful in between proper tests, I use mine at the farm to periodically randomly check sockets as I'm walking around, I know the values were correct when last tested, so if I get a green on the plug in then it's still good, it's just a quick test. Now if we had something similar that was in a CU, even if it was just a red and green light, it would at least allow people to keep an eye on their earthing, and surely that has to be better than some useless AFDD, that we know isn't going to do a lot most of the time.

Socket. Next to DB

if DB is locked away then a socket in a circulation route

plug in tester

leave it plugged in forever

tell client to listen for a change in tone ( they will get used to the sound of the tester constantly chirping after a few months )

if it changes tone then there is probably something wrong

simples

BS7671 2019 AMD 1

on a more serious note they have already got a date for amd1 in 2020 

Phil, try working on “earth free” systems, earth fault monitoring is a nightmare.

Marvo sent me a photograph of a standard SA supply that incorporates neutral loss detection. Monitoring systems do exist.
Yes I know, but I was thinking of something that could easily be fitted into a domestic property, must be more beneficial than half the carp they dream up in the regs. lol

The thing is someone has to design it and have the clout to have it approved and then manufactured. My pockets ain’t that deep.

The ones with the clout and the money are the puppeteers controlling the IET puppets.

We have to buy what they say we have to buy! E.G. AFDD’s, the US need them due to their wiring methods, our wiring methods are totally different and far more reliable (given the caveat that the electrician is competent). Who pushed them through the IET committee?

Answers on a postcard to ……………….

The thing is someone has to design it and have the clout to have it approved and then manufactured. My pockets ain’t that deep.

The ones with the clout and the money are the puppeteers controlling the IET puppets.

We have to buy what they say we have to buy! E.G. AFDD’s, the US need them due to their wiring methods, our wiring methods are totally different and far more reliable (given the caveat that the electrician is competent). Who pushed them through the IET committee?

Answers on a postcard to ……………….
Saw a video the other day, it was at one of the Elexshows last year, it was your old mate, the one who now works for Scolmore, going around the event filming stuff with a mobile phone, or as he called it the 'Tonycam'.

Saw a video the other day, it was at one of the Elexshows last year, it was your old mate, the one who now works for Scolmore, going around the event filming stuff with a mobile phone, or as he called it the 'Tonycam'.

Why didn't you punch the aggravating little ***** lights out? I've met him three times, each time I wanted to throttle him for spoiling my day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't you punch the aggravating little ***** lights out? I've met him three times, each time I wanted to throttle him for spoiling my day!

I just binned one of his NICEIC business cards over the weekend  in a "must go through that" pile. 

Oh come on Tony, I thought you really enjoyed that cosy little evening in the hotel in Harrogate, sat in the bar drinking your Brandy and little Tony's voice droning on as he attempted to bore the life out of anyone within earshot. lol

Perhaps an electronic device  that ran a Ze test once a week  ...it would have to disconnect the bonding though .     

I know of areas in this city where the network has broken down , I'd be amazed if I got a Ze reading ...but none of the residents know until  they have a spark in who actually bothers to take a reading ,  theres rewires done  , showers installed ,  posh kitchens refurbed   ,  with high impedances  or none at all .

The title of this thread is driving me up the wall    ...every time I read it my brain says  " Early Morning light "     I think it may be a song from the bronze age  , but  I believe the brain "sees "  the first letters and does a predictive text thing .   

Reminds me of a local university graffiti  on the loo wall ....." Dyslexia Lures   KO!  " 

Latest posts