Earth problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrythelabrador

Reaction score
Hi, Bit of a strange problem: Have an extension on end of property that was done about 12 years ago I think, it consists of a utility room downstairs & bathroom above. In the utility room there are 3 sockets which when tested show no earth! All other sockets in main kitchen are OK & the utility ones seem to be on the same circuit as the kitchen ones (they isolate with the other ones in main kitchen.
Presumably there is a break in the connection into the main kitchen socket ring (all earth connections in sockets are OK), big problem is that the flooring upstairs above the extension is a bathroom with stone tiles :rolleyes:
I appear to have 3 options:
1. Rip up the bathroom flooring or possibly the utility ceiling to try & find connections
2. Run entirely new cables from existing ones in main kitchen
3. I don't know if this is possible or not - Could a new ground earth rod be fitted & connected to the utility wiring?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts

Thanks

The greatest possibility of a broken connection is behind an accessory. Look in the kitchen to find where the extension has been spurred off and in the utility room. If it genuinely is a failed cable then replacement is essential.

Hi, Bit of a strange problem: Have an extension on end of property that was done about 12 years ago I think, it consists of a utility room downstairs & bathroom above. In the utility room there are 3 sockets which when tested show no earth! All other sockets in main kitchen are OK & the utility ones seem to be on the same circuit as the kitchen ones (they isolate with the other ones in main kitchen.
Presumably there is a break in the connection into the main kitchen socket ring (all earth connections in sockets are OK), big problem is that the flooring upstairs above the extension is a bathroom with stone tiles :rolleyes:
I appear to have 3 options:
1. Rip up the bathroom flooring or possibly the utility ceiling to try & find connections
2. Run entirely new cables from existing ones in main kitchen
3. I don't know if this is possible or not - Could a new ground earth rod be fitted & connected to the utility wiring?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts

Thanks
Your 3 repair options seem to be a bit of a fly off the handle approach without carrying out any other testing or checking behind the accessories, why or what reason do you have to believe there are connections or JB's under the floor
Your post appears to presume a lot without any checks or tests being carried out, I would suggest the first thing to do is confirm whether these sockets are on a separate circuit or part of the kitchen ring or even part of another circuit, has any work been done in the property recently that may have caused the problem

You may have two broken earth connections if the utility sockets were meant to be a ring?

I would start be establishing exactly how the circuit is wired...
a few dead tests with a good continuity meter wouldn't take too long..

Once you know how it is wired that should help in establishing at which point (or points) the earth is disconnected!

Once you have got your earths reconnected / replaced, you then also need to confirm that the earth loop impedance values are correct for the type of MCB / Fuse fitted?

If you have a number of sockets with no earth, then it is unlikely that it will be part of a ring shared with the kitchen that has good earth continuity. Much more likely to be radial or something like that. If it really is on a ring it would be multiple faults.

Best get an electrician to thoroughly test that circuit and those sockets and he will be able to tell you what is wrong and what is needed to correct it.

If you have a number of sockets with no earth, then it is unlikely that it will be part of a ring shared with the kitchen that has good earth continuity. Much more likely to be radial or something like that. If it really is on a ring it would be multiple faults.

A few years back I was asked to add a few sockets into a new conservatory, extending the ring off a lounge socket...

Initial checks found no earth continuity on the ring at the socket to extend from!
further tests found two breaks in the CPC around the circuit..
so five sockets had been working with no earth continuity at all!

So I would not assume anything until proven...
As it is described as a utility room, I would be more surprised to find someone had wired that as a radial branch spured off a ring?

Especially when we see so many DIY'ers / Builders creating stupid small rings just with 2 or 3 sockets from a mini 2-way shed/garage CU..

Who in their right mind would wire a utility room with 3 sockets as a radial extended off a ring?? Tumble drier & washing machine from a 13amp fused spur, would be asking for trouble in my book..

It could also be a messed up ring with figure of "8".. or a Lolly-pop??

Cant assume anything at this stage.