earthing back boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lets have a vote i always earth back metal back boxes its the way i was taught

it has now become second nature the fixed lug can be damaged crossed loose ect

for the sake of 2 mins

theres enuff loonies wantin to take over this place, I cant cope, any more of this and Im gonna have to ring batman to come back from his holidays and help me.!
There there Steptoe, caaaaaalm down, have a drink Guiness Drink

Who's this batman of yours, are you still in the forces, should we be worried?

could someone explain to me how a buried in the wall object is exposed?
I don't fricking know! X( I deem it's a question for niceic people...any of you out there? Helloooo? *eerie echoing in vast space

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

lets have a vote i always earth back metal back boxes its the way i was taughtit has now become second nature the fixed lug can be damaged crossed loose ect

for the sake of 2 mins
why have people got this thing in their head about a fixed lug?

a metal back box does NOT need to be earthed under any circumstances, (not including surface MC).

it is within the fabric of the building.!

you must ensure any exposed conductive part is earthed(ie, the fixing screws), nothing to do with the back box.!

so if most people do earth the back boxes do u all still supplementary bond even tho u dont have to under the 17th
Well, experince says 50/50 too me..

And I suppose those 2 M/C screws have no purpose whatsoever, other than fixing..

(unless they are loose : O)

:^O

Im not saying its not good practice to tag the back box, Im just saying its a non necessity,so why do so many people think its a reg?
Gosh I like this guy..

Applaud Smiley

I'm currently rewiring occupied council houses for Rotherham 2010. Have to earth backboxes or it gets pulled.
That's unsual - Councils normally have them surface mounted and run in trunking.

lets have a vote i always earth back metal back boxes its the way i was taughtit has now become second nature the fixed lug can be damaged crossed loose ect

for the sake of 2 mins
Agree.

Who has said that it is a reg Steps? :|
POST 11 ADMIN

people are banging on about it as being exposed or extraneous part,

it is neither, good practice is nothing to do with it.

I'm currently rewiring occupied council houses for Rotherham 2010. Have to earth backboxes or it gets pulled.

thats cos its probably an SR. get them all the time on LA work.

Sorry for being slow - what's an SR?
supplementary regulation.

not always law, but if the LA want it then they get it,

if it turns out to be a deviation from the regs you note it on your cert and once they realise they soon withdraw it,!! :^O :^O:^O

I love being able to put them on my certs, cos if they wanna make up the rules then I will pass the buck to them!

they hate that.!!!! :D :D:D

supplementary regulation.not always law, but if the LA want it then they get it,

if it turns out to be a deviation from the regs you note it on your cert and once they realise they soon withdraw it,!! :^O :^O:^O

I love being able to put them on my certs, cos if they wanna make up the rules then I will pass the buck to them!

they hate that.!!!! :D :D:D
Close!!! (Supplementary or Statutory)

:)

This looks fun - can I have a go now?

I`ll agree with Steptoe, insofar as there isn`t a reg (to my knowledge) which enforces the earth strapper; but I WOULD consider it good practice.

On my NIC assessment (and he`s a nice guy - sparky, just like us), I made the comment about a fixed lug, and the reply was given as follows:

"ok, so you remove the face plate to verify connections. No grommet has been used on the k/o, and the b/b is at mains potential, as the faceplate screws are plastic."

I can see the arguments for & against; but, to me, why not. Further, under some circumstances, it can be useful to have a second earthing terminal. getting 3 or 4 2.5mm singles in 1 term can be a bit of a ******!

This looks fun - can I have a go now?I`ll agree with Steptoe, insofar as there isn`t a reg (to my knowledge) which enforces the earth strapper; but I WOULD consider it good practice.

On my NIC assessment (and he`s a nice guy - sparky, just like us), I made the comment about a fixed lug, and the reply was given as follows:

"ok, so you remove the face plate to verify connections. No grommet has been used on the k/o, and the b/b is at mains potential, as the faceplate screws are plastic."

I can see the arguments for & against; but, to me, why not. Further, under some circumstances, it can be useful to have a second earthing terminal. getting 3 or 4 2.5mm singles in 1 term can be a bit of a ******!
there we go, sorry KME, but a fixed lug has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

so you didnt isolate!!!!!

bad workmanship.!!!!

I can honestly agree 100% with tagging the bb, but its is never a requirement.

But (as I have been informed) many times, nobody has been killed (electrically) from the screws of a face plate..

Applaud Smiley