EICR - No earth at light switches with metal plates (Plastic back boxes)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dom

Reaction score
I completed an EICR today and there was no earth at the light switches with metal face plates.

Would I be correct to fail this and request Further Investigation. There is a relatively new panel with RCD protection for the lights (but weirdly not sockets).

The Report does not fail it is satisfactory or unsatisfactory. The metal switch plates would require a cpc or ADS is not satisfied, what do you mean by no earth the cables don't incorporate cpcs?

if they are class 1 then yes, its a C2. not really FI... youve already discovered its not earthted, not really much else to FI

bit scary that you are out there doing EICR's and not sure how to code something like that...

Thanks.... By fail I mean 'unsatisfactory'

I could not see an earth at any of the switches. It may be cut inside the sheath but I could not see it.

if they are class 1 then yes, its a C2. not really FI... youve already discovered its not earthted, not really much else to FI

bit scary that you are out there doing EICR's and not sure how to code something like that...
Thanks Andy!! best way to learn is to do and ask questions if there is something you don't know..... Would be scarier if I wasn't asking questions don't you think.....

The pendants I opened up did not have an earth, only live a neutral coming from above the ceiling.

The metal light fittings did not show continuity using the wander lead between the consumer unit.

I have sent the report back with C2 and will propose to change all metal switches/fixtures to plastic.

Thanks guys!!

The pendants I opened up did not have an earth, only live a neutral coming from above the ceiling.

The metal light fittings did not show continuity using the wander lead between the consumer unit.

I have sent the report back with C2 and will propose to change all metal switches/fixtures to plastic.

Thanks guys!!

good feed back.

1960’s house ?

Thanks guys!!
Sounds good, always good to put a label on the consumer unit stating that no class 1 fittings should be fitted if they go that route, otherwise DIY Dave is going to come along and change them all back next week, assuming he knows what the classes mean!

If they want to do it "properly" then get the lighting rewired at least, then it's future proof if they decide to sell on etc.

I wouldn't touch it just quote for rewiring as necessary. You cannot use Class II as a means of protection in a dwelling.

Latest posts