EICR - r1 very high but R1 + R2 low.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you now have a r1 of 1.6ohms and a rn of 0.9ohms and you think that everything is ok????
Thats what I just said (a longer may be) in post #17....

It is NOT just a matter of getting a ring reading...

They HAVE to be proportional....

otherwise you may as well just bell them out with a simple continuity buzzer!

Thanks guys, i'm gonna go back and check all sockets for tightness. The house is empty at the moment and for the next few weeks, owned by a mate who's round there redecorating (tenants wrecked the place) so access will be easy.

Thanks, Paul.

Thanks guys, i'm gonna go back and check all sockets for tightness. The house is empty at the moment and for the next few weeks, owned by a mate who's round there redecorating (tenants wrecked the place) so access will be easy.Thanks, Paul.
Just a thought...

Based on what you say there.... if it were me I would probably split open the ring at the CU...

open one end completely up L/N/E all open circuit in free air touching nothing...

then join all the other LNE together....

Then theoretically as you go to each socket on the ring if you measure L-E and N-E at each socket outlet they should be damn near identical

as the L & N conductors are the same CSA and you are using the same E as a measuring conductor..

even if you got spurs off the ring the L-E & N-E at the spur should equal each other...

May make it easier to spot good sockets -vs- bad sockets....

Dunno if thats of any help????? :C

Just a thought...Based on what you say there.... if it were me I would probably split open the ring at the CU...

open one end completely up L/N/E all open circuit in free air touching nothing...

then join all the other LNE together....

Then theoretically as you go to each socket on the ring if you measure L-E and N-E at each socket outlet they should be damn near identical

as the L & N conductors are the same CSA and you are using the same E as a measuring conductor..

even if you got spurs off the ring the L-E & N-E at the spur should equal each other...

May make it easier to spot good sockets -vs- bad sockets....

Dunno if thats of any help????? :C
I like that, i'll post results.Should be interesting.

Thanks.

Paul.

I like that, i'll post results.Should be interesting. Thanks.

Paul.
Reputation's (AKA scoob's) can be added to any member you consider worthwhile by clicking the Star in the bottom left corner of the posts

;) :innocent

Grovel, Grovel, Crawl, Crawl....

:worship

I heard that Canoedley Kid has been groveling recently...

:BlushingO)

:slap

Ok, i'll get a skirting board ladder while i'm at it, then nip to the shop where i'll ask the shop keeper for a long weight.

Paul.

Ok, i'll get a skirting board ladder while i'm at it, then nip to the shop where i'll ask the shop keeper for a long weight.Paul.
You don't need to ask for a long weight just pop to your local DIY superstore on a Sunday.

You don't need to ask for a long weight just pop to your local DIY superstore on a Sunday.
Too true, especially those self serve checkouts, they drive me mad.

Paul.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:00 ----------

Where on Bristol are I from pk? I do some work there some times
I'm from Hanham, which is East Bristol.

What sort of work do you do ?

Well. I spoke to the customer/mate, explained that inconsistent resistance values on a ring warrant a code 2, so an unsatisfactory result, got the usual "well it's been ok for years" etc.

Asked me how much it'll cost to put right, to which i answered i don't know, hopefully it's loose connections somewhere.

If that's the case then go round and tighten all socket connections, which means going round sockets with a stanley knife first so new paint/paper doesn't get pulled off when i pull the socket face off, so maybe 1-2 hours if that's the case, otherwise i'm gonna have to investigate further, so lets say hopefully about

Latest posts