Elderly board with asbestos

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
Just done a periodic on our offices as the lease was up and we decided to move after 22 years. System is roughly 45 years old but has been added to on numerous occasions. It's never been tested in our time in the building. The distribution boards (2 of them) are original - MEM rewirable 100A main fuses and 3036 fuses protecting the entire building. Not an RCD in sight anywhere.

The whole system has tested fine and some minor issues have been addressed. Earthing and bonding have been upgraded.

My main concern is the fuse boards. They have porcelain fuses and those asbestos pads on the fuse carriers. The box itself is a total mess - fuses with incorrect wire, no labelling.

I would certainly put in a recommendation that the DBs are upgraded but as we were responsible for the maintenance and upkeep as part of our tenancy we don't particularly want any uneccessary expense now that we have left the premises. Is there a requirement to eradicate the asbestos or is the system acceptable to sign off the test and submit the report as it is. Just doing the paperwork at the moment.

There is no requirement to remove the asbestos providing it is stable and not constituting any danger, the type of asbestos will have a direct influence on what actions if any are needed. All types of asbestos is a danger, but in differing levels, the type used for arc protection on old boards were normally the lower risk types. If you have any concerns you should seek professional advise.

Don't stir-up the dust and there is no real issue. Would suggest using good quality hoover, dust masks, and careful handling. Bag old gear in plastic bags and take to dump for proper disposal. Don't know what the costs are. If these are large boards then I would consider a licensed asbestos removal firm, but its a bit like asbestos garage roofing, the local council will remove provided you bag the old sheets for them, the rest is common sense.

binky, all

WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT USE A "HOOVER" ANYWHERE NEAR THE BOARDS.

Anyone who has done asbestos awareness training which is a statutory requirement for anyone likely to work anywhere where there may be asbestos located under CAWR would understand.

The filters in a normal vacuum cleaner merely blow most of the fibres into the air for them to be inhaled over a much wider area.

Best way unscrew the board from the wall using techniques from the HSE website, bag it in 500ga and seal around the cable entries, cut the cables and then rebag the whole thing for disposal.

Cover the clear 500ga with red then clear again so that the transporter can see that it is double bagged.

Next option is a licensed contractor.

Though they may not be electrically qualified unless you select them as such.

I would also caution you about transport of asbestos waste as it is hazardous waste and if caught, in comparison with getting caught taking some rubble to the local tip and it being proven this is on a commercial basis is likening getting a speeding warning ticket and getting arrested for murder.

Illegal transport of hazardous waste can see you imprisoned.

Sorry guys, but there is a LOT of statute law around asbestos, that you may not be aware of, in which case I strongly recommend a bit of research to keep yourselves out of possible trouble.

I did see a demonstration video about the use of vacuum cleaners, the spread of fine particles is bigger than I would have imagined. I think it was from the HSE, but I can not find any link to it. I was shown it in a classroom, so have no idea where it came from.

The HSEs guidance is to leave it alone, asbestos is only dangerous when the particles are released into the atmosphere and inhaled. If it

You say you have now moved from there so note the asbestos on your report , its the responsibility of the building owner.

We are doing a PIR at a local plant hire company next week, we did it 5 years ago , mentioned the asbestos in the report, we know nothing has changed so we 'll just mention it again .

Another point of Statute Law, the building owner MUST have an asbestos register which must be kept on the premises.

Stupid thing is the tenant can be done if the asbestos is disturbed even if they don't know it is there!

The landlord would also be done as it is their responsibility to manage as it is their property.

The tenant has a duty of care to their employees though.

Some of the cartridge fuse holders fit the mem boards with rewireables think it was always an option and they are still available. If you do have to change them it may be a cheaper option than changing the boards.

binky, allWHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT USE A "HOOVER" ANYWHERE NEAR THE BOARDS.

Anyone who has done asbestos awareness training which is a statutory requirement for anyone likely to work anywhere where there may be asbestos located under CAWR would understand.

The filters in a normal vacuum cleaner merely blow most of the fibres into the air for them to be inhaled over a much wider area.

Best way unscrew the board from the wall using techniques from the HSE website, bag it in 500ga and seal around the cable entries, cut the cables and then rebag the whole thing for disposal.

Cover the clear 500ga with red then clear again so that the transporter can see that it is double bagged.

Next option is a licensed contractor.

Though they may not be electrically qualified unless you select them as such.

I would also caution you about transport of asbestos waste as it is hazardous waste and if caught, in comparison with getting caught taking some rubble to the local tip and it being proven this is on a commercial basis is likening getting a speeding warning ticket and getting arrested for murder.

Illegal transport of hazardous waste can see you imprisoned.

Sorry guys, but there is a LOT of statute law around asbestos, that you may not be aware of, in which case I strongly recommend a bit of research to keep yourselves out of possible trouble.
ffp 3 mask and tyvek 5 suit also double bag these,

would also be a good idea once disconnected (tails removed) wet the fuses with a spray gun/bottle

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking of a hoover with very fine filter such as fitted to dysons, but generally i would look, go oh ****, close up again, get decent face mask and power down board. Cut cables and ditch straight into decent plastic bag, ideally after wetting down to ensure dust does not kick up. For PIR, just wear mask and keep closed up as much as possible.

binky,

For info, even the best Dyson filter is NFG as far as asbestos goes you must have a Class H, which is a "special" filter, as has been posted by M & Boaty, check the HSE guidance.,

I will make myself unpopular here and say taht any of you who are working where you may encounter asbestos, and you have not had the requisite training are breaking statue law, and that is a criminal offence, just because you are a sole trader is not a defence.

Thus anyone working on any premises or electrical equipment constructed prior to yr 2000 MUST be trained.

Sorry guys but that is the law and that is that.

BTW, not aimed at ANYONE, just a general comment.

Are you completely mad ??? use a hoover and dust masks ?... A DUST MASK is TOTALLY USELESS !! you can get a million particles of asbestos on a pin head...any dust mask is useless and you would need proper breathing gear not a run of the mill mask and as for telling them to use a hoover...by God thats not only daft but criminal too.Where do you think those particles of asbestos will go when you empty the hoover ?..intot the lungs of some poor bast who is emptying it...you obviously are clueless about asbestos.

Davidelectrixical laying it on the line there and no mistake!!!! And he,s right .

I will say no more than as I have said in another thread recently, last year my M8, a sparks, died from the ba$tard stuff.

We're out of there now but as well as the PIR we had a full asbestos survey carried out which noted the DBs. It was classed as 'very low risk'. The report is now with the landlord so he has the full details. Unlikely that the boards will be changed anytime soon. They're safe and everything operates as it should.

Thanks for the update, as always whenever asbestos is suspected it is better to get a survey done, in fact I think its almost mandatory for some older buildings.

Latest posts