Electric cut off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gents/ladies,

hope you can help on this one-

my sister lives in a fairly new apartment block and NPower have been out today and cutoff the landlords supply (non payment). However they now have no communal lights, working fire alarm system and emergency lights. My sister lives on the third floor (TOP) and its pitch black in the corridors/ stairs.

She thinks the landlord lives abroad in Dubai so doesnt know how long its gonna be before they are managed to be contacted to pay the bill.

Is their anything that can be done to persuade the supplier to reinstate the supply especially as babies and young children live their.

Thanks all

BClearnersparks

The only legal way is for one/all of you to ring the DNO/Supplier and make one of you/all of you a new customer on the Landlords supply account.

The DNO will then re-instate the supply within 24 Hrs.

Then write to the landlord telling him the score (plus a bollocking) and then deduct the costs from ya rent.

Are npower allowed to do this?

As you pointed out this leaves the communal fire alarm and lighting non function after that batteries have worn out. This creates several health and safety risks which seems these days is priority number 1.

The 'Supplier/DNO' can do what they please if the registered customer is well in arrears and they've followed all statutory procedures for debt recovery.

I've cut many peeps off in my DNO career and its amazing how the money which was 'apparently' not there before miraculasly appears when the lecky's gone! :^O

I worked at npower myself before training to be a spark, i was actually on the disconnection side although i was only there for 3months and never went to the point of disconnection as most people paid after visits from the balifs...however cant really take from a communal hall as there is sod all to take.

Just surprised its allowed, although as you say npower have provided a service...landlord hasn't paid. end of i guess.