Electric mains meter puzzle

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have got a puzzle which somebody might be able to help with. my utility main Meter has been flashing what it says on the picture one minute it shows the numbers of units used one minute it shows what could be feed, it flashes so fast it's difficult to say what exactly it says, it only started happening after my solar installation, it's not a smart Meter, but could it still be to do with feed in from solar energy?
1710246864113.png

It is a function built into some meters so if you reverse the connection hoping it will run backwards, you will be caught out. Nothing to worry about if you have solar PV but you would do well to install a diverter to use excess power for water heating instead of exporting it unless you are actually getting paid for any export.

diverter to use excess power for water heating instead of exporting it unless you are actually getting paid for any export.
The installer is supposed to tell the grid, I assume they would inform our supplier.
we have a heat pump and the immersion heater is on a timer so would a diverter work with that?

Definitely reverse energy detection. I think they have given up on that now as the things used to flag this up all the time for no reason. [A meter reader told me]

I had a new supply put in and the thing flagged it up after about one day. I went to see them and a right snotty prick informed me it must have been because i was trying to get the meter to go backwards. They looked a bit daft when told i have only had it put in the day before and it was on precisely 7 units...

john..

Definitely reverse energy detection. I think they have given up on that now as the things used to flag this up all the time for no reason. [A meter reader told me]

I had a new supply put in and the thing flagged it up after about one day. I went to see them and a right snotty prick informed me it must have been because i was trying to get the meter to go backwards. They looked a bit daft when told i have only had it put in the day before and it was on precisely 7 units...

john..
The only meters you can reverse are the old Wheal types. Causes a bit of confusion when you install solar panels 😀

Latest posts