electric shower isolator switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichinen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got to fit an isolator switch for an electric shower. The problem is that the bathroom is too small to fit it on the ceiling outside the zones. Where should I fit it? Can I put it on the wall outside the zones?

Thanks!

I was thinking the same. I can't understand if an isolation is necessary or not.. ?:|

This crops up a lot. All fixed appliances must have a local isolator. Put it in the corner furthest from the shower or a 45a DP switch on the wall outside bathroom. My mate insists that the pull cord is within reach of the person in the shower, if you can find that in the regs you're a better man than I ,Gunga Din.

Deke

This crops up a lot. All fixed appliances must have a local isolator. Put it in the corner furthest from the shower or a 45a DP switch on the wall outside bathroom. My mate insists that the pull cord is within reach of the person in the shower, if you can find that in the regs you're a better man than I ,Gunga Din.Deke
depends on your version of 'local'

where possible, i always put the switch in the bathroom

Thanks guys,

Andyc: what do you mean with "in the bathroom"? if the ceiling is too low, where do you put the switch? on the wall outside zones?

Isolation switch is required in the manufacturers instructions

it is also for isolation for maintenance,,,

airing cupboard is a favourite becacause its out the way and you can split the cable route into 2 parts

This crops up a lot. All fixed appliances must have a local isolator. Put it in the corner furthest from the shower or a 45a DP switch on the wall outside bathroom. My mate insists that the pull cord is within reach of the person in the shower, if you can find that in the regs you're a better man than I ,Gunga Din.Deke
well if its a Crabtree switch.. manufactures instructions say.. and I quote;

Notes:6. When used in bathrooms, pull switches should be fixed out of reach of the bath or shower.
And as regs 134.1.1 says amongst other things that manufactures instructions should be followed..

then your mate would be wrong in this case!? :eek: :|

well if its a Crabtree switch.. manufactures instructions say.. and I quote;And as regs 134.1.1 says amongst other things that manufactures instructions should be followed..

then your mate would be wrong in this case!? :eek: :|
depends on how crabtree mean out of reach.... does this mean the cord is out of reach, or the switch is out of reach

My mate also insists that you can't fit a pendant in a kitchen, and will not budge on it!!

Can never show me the reg on that one either, can cause a right bull and cow so I just go along with it.

Deke

OK. AFAIK, your mate has it backwards. The pullcord should be OUT of reach of a person using the bath / shower. This avoids them using it as a functional switch.

I believe that is a reg, but don`t have the book to hand.

What ceiling height are we talking about, in this hypothetical bathroom?