Electric towel radiator and circuit breakers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaenmene

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I want to fit a 500w electric towel radiator into a store room in my home. The previous owners had a heater in the same place which they removed. - the switched fused spur is already sited where needed and is currently unused.

I have bought a 500w TCP wifi radiator.

On reading the installation instructions it says must be protected by a 30mA differential circuit breaker, 16A rated.

As my ring main is protected by a 32A circuit breaker, do I need to replace the fused spur with a RCD spur ?

Many thanks

B

As my ring main is protected by a 32A circuit breaker, do I need to replace the fused spur with a RCD spur ?

Do you not have any RCD's in your consumer unit already? RCD's have been required for many years in domestic installations, to protect all sockets, (and over time, other circuits as well). With current installations there a very few circuits or installation methods that do not require RCD protection.
An uploaded photo of your consumer unit may help to give a more comprehensive answer. But personally, I would not recommend using an RCD spur. better to replace an MCB with an RCBO if no existing RCD protection is already in place.

Doc H.

Thanks for your reply
Yes, my consunmer unit is RCD ( photo attached). My concern being the ring main units are 32A with the radiator installation instructions state needs to be 16A rated.

Many thanks

B

Attachments

• 16687593839557580850208635730014.jpg
    16687593839557580850208635730014.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The 16 amp is the max rating not a fusible rating. The important bit is the 30mA differential which your CU RCD will have. Make sure the fuse in the FCU is 5 amp.

The 16 amp is the max rating not a fusible rating. The important bit is the 30mA differential which your CU RCD will have. Make sure the fuse in the FCU is 5 amp.
Thanks for the guidance
Best wishes
B

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.