Electric Vehicle Dist Board

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Been asked if we could run a supply to a DB that then supplies electric vehicle chargers.
It's not my normal field so wasn't sure if any EV regs apply to the supply to a board or just outgoing?

I think you would need to look at the overall design with regards to supply capacity and the number of and capacity of the chargers that are to be installed
One supply could feed a number of chargepoints with looped wiring and load management would manage the connected load upto the supply capacity, so it is possible you may not need a DB

I think you would need to look at the overall design with regards to supply capacity and the number of and capacity of the chargers that are to be installed
One supply could feed a number of chargepoints with looped wiring and load management would manage the connected load upto the supply capacity, so it is possible you may not need a DB
Hi Ung, client wants a DB and I have nothing to do with the outgoing supplies to chargers.
I'm only doing supply to the DB.

Hi Ung, client wants a DB and I have nothing to do with the outgoing supplies to chargers.
I'm only doing supply to the DB.
I think the client needs to revisit his EV charge point requirements before installing anything
How do size your supply to the DB without knowing the prospective load or how many ways the DB needs

Personally I'd just oversize the submain so that the VD is reduced,,, and run a couple of Cat5's back to the supply & router with it

I'd also be temped to oversize the type of incomming device a bit, if the EVSE contractor says they want a 100A or even 125A supply and are limiting their load to that via load mmanagement, then recognise that the board might be opperating at maximum load for hours on end, everyday. It might just be me, but I feel better about having a 200/250A incommer with lugged connections, rather than cage clamps under that sort of loading. Makes it easier to connect your oversized submain as well :)

I'd also be temped to oversize the type of incomming device a bit, if the EVSE contractor says they want a 100A or even 125A supply and are limiting their load to that via load mmanagement, then recognise that the board might be opperating at maximum load for hours on end, everyday. It might just be me, but I feel better about having a 200/250A incommer with lugged connections, rather than cage clamps under that sort of loading. Makes it easier to connect your oversized submain as well :)
Based on that why not put a sub station in instead of a sub main