electrical wholesaler vs screwfix and toolstation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
hi, do you guys use screwfix and toolstation for things like consumer units etc. Seen screwfix doing MK, CED and volex cu for 80quid all in. Bloke at Senate said these are crap quality and you cant buy the breakers n that

What do you think?

Dan

If it's a bargain I might, easier to use the wholesalers though if they're not too OTT on the price. Some of it is absolute garbage, some not so much, but then some of the stuff from wholesalers is garbage and some stuff from Screwfix etc... is good so it's not really about the supplier, it's about what you want and where you can get it at the price you want and what benefits you gain from your chosen supplier over the others.

its worth signing up to electrofix, prices seem pritty good, 7 til 8 opening, ring up and order, then get delivered or pick up in store,

they sell everything in singles now, if you want a peace of wast pipe or conduit and dont want 20, also they are going to sell cable by the meter and the price is the same as the full drum per meter,

I needed a couple of Wylex 32a type B breakers the other day. I phoned up electrifix only to be told they didn't have any in stock and this was their central warehouse.

I needed a couple of Wylex 32a type B breakers the other day. I phoned up electrifix only to be told they didn't have any in stock and this was their central warehouse.
they do have stock issues

its worth signing up to electrofix, prices seem pritty good, 7 til 8 opening, ring up and order, then get delivered or pick up in store, they sell everything in singles now, if you want a peace of wast pipe or conduit and dont want 20, also they are going to sell cable by the meter and the price is the same as the full drum per meter,
what :eek: only an hour to do your shopping bet thats a bit like a supermarket sweep job! :^O :^O:Salute on your marks get ready GO! :^O

what :eek: only an hour to do your shopping bet thats a bit like a supermarket sweep job! :^O :^O:Salute on your marks get ready GO! :^O
:Applaud :Applaud:ApplaudROTFWLROTFWL:slap:Salute

Classic!

You'd never get time for a coffee out the vending machine!

I have noticed that B&Q have started a New thing - they have been advertising on the radio over the past week.

It's called Tradepoint. For ALL trades.

hi, do you guys use screwfix and toolstation for things like consumer units etc. Seen screwfix doing MK, CED and volex cu for 80quid all in. Bloke at Senate said these are crap quality and you cant buy the breakers n thatWhat do you think?

Dan
The ONLY problem with these all-in boards is you cannot choose the breaker values you want..

They always IMHO have too many 32A breakers in there

and a general lack of 10A's & 20A's

But sometimes it can be just as cheap to buy a fully equipped board and two or three extra MCB's to swap for the values you want..

Whereas many wholesalers offer a "fully equipped price" of say CU + 10 breakers

but you can choose the breaker sizes you want!

As with ALL purchases whether it be work-tools-gear OR

the weekly food shopping

or clothes

or luxury goods

or anything else for that matter..

ALL retail & wholesale outlets have various offers, deals bargains at various times and they ALL have some things that are just a plain rip-off.

Sometimes the deals are worth it sometimes not.

Its a matter of Shop Around as these offers and deals can change over the course of a few weeks or months..

Some places will offer loyalty discounts....

but others are just cheap enough anyway for same things that extra loyalty discount don't make much difference..

Other times its better to pay a few quid more to get something in stock when you want it.. (or have it delivered free to home/site)...

They all have their good points and bad points..

Its that case of balancing how long you spend shopping around - vs- just getting the gear and doing the job...

Time is money...

if you are only saving

I have noticed that B&Q have started a New thing - they have been advertising on the radio over the past week.It's called Tradepoint. For ALL trades.
:eek: :( :C

Trade point is the Screwfix gear + some of other B&Q builders gear,

sold at counters in B&Q!

Keep up Mr Admin sir!!!!!!!!!!

Post #25 over here...

& Post #28

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10116&highlight=TRADEPOINT+SCREWFIX

You need to get outa that shed more often!

O) :innocent

how have you lot found toolstations CED make consumer units?

also when fitting about 10 large fluorescent lights is there anything special to bare in mind? not sure what size they are but ive heard they can trip the cu trip and recommend to use C type mcbs?

cheers

Dan

how have you lot found toolstations CED make consumer units? also when fitting about 10 large fluorescent lights is there anything special to bare in mind? not sure what size they are but ive heard they can trip the cu trip and recommend to use C type mcbs?

cheers

Dan
Is the zs within limits for a c type mate?

look at pg 96 in osg,

you may have to multiply by 1.8 giving you a total of 1800 w based on 100w tube, for the circuit

so 10 amp mcb and switches rated at 10 amp, think most are.

a mcb B10 will have a max zs of 3.68 and a C10 1.84

they sell it all in single lengths now mate and are going to sell cable by the meter
All good ... As long as they have it in stock. Which the last 3 times I tried they didn't mate which is why I prefer the wholesaler wilts. I priced up a mk 15 way board and mcbs etc was

I don't buy much from sf/electrifix but I do buy extractor fans because for some reason wholesalers seem to charge extortionate prices for them.

All good ... As long as they have it in stock. Which the last 3 times I tried they didn't mate which is why I prefer the wholesaler wilts. I priced up a mk 15 way board and mcbs etc was

from someone on here actually ive found this place called CPC online and they are selling rcbo's for