Electrician badly hurt.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't agree with you more, Android.

I was only responding to a couple of the daft comments posted - i.e. leaving a circuit live for an apprentice to work on and the fact that if it's lighting, it's not as dangerous.

You are correct in what you say:)

sorry to sound twisted,but I will often leave a 30mA lighting circuit turned on just to try and teach apprentices NOT to trust anyone if a circuit is dead,

if you want to be sure it is dead kill it and lock it off yourself, then test it twice with two different meters,(my first is a neon! I know! thats just me.)

keep us informed as to how the lads are please,

hope all is ok. :|
Should print this off and hand it to the HSE and Police as if a poor apprentice was electrocuted and died, it would be classed as PREMEDITATED MURDER. :red card :red card:red card

Should print this off and hand it to the HSE and Police as if a poor apprentice was electrocuted and died, it would be classed as PREMEDITATED MURDER. :red card :red card:red card
for those who think steptoe is badly wrong... you dont know the fully circumstanes. for all you know, he could be still there watching, and 'remind' him to test before he does touch anything. if well controlled, its a good way to remind them to always test dead, no matter who has 'isolated'

Agree with you Dave:Applaud:xBut... I can also see what Steps is trying to do.....

I have had a few lighting circuit belts before now...

Blinking Borrowed neutrals!headbangX(

less hazardous than 32amp Ring or 40amp shower IMHO...

that said I wouldn't do it myself to someone else.

:|
er... dont know which electricity your using... but the leccy round this way on a lighting circuit is just as dangerous as a shower, or any other circuit

I think what specs is trying to suggest is the less resistance in a 10mm cable means a bigger shock. For example a 1.5 with an r1r2 of 6ohms means you will get less of a shock than 10mm at 0.6ohms. Be that if you touch live and earth with both hands.If your just touching live then obviously you've got your body reistance, the earth resistance plus 3ohms, or 0.3ohms.
in reality, your body resistance will be much higher, so difference in R1 will make little/no difference to how much of a shock you get

How do you check isolation?
OK - no technical terms - no "jazzy bits" -:

1. identify circuit you are going to work on.

2. using your voltage indicator , all-in-one, or similar, verify correct operation by testing a known source (incoming supply OR proving unit)

2. Isolate circuit in question.

3. Verify circuit isolated using voltage indicator as above (n.b. a "neon" type screwdriver etc. is NOT a suitable means of indicating!!!).

4. using your voltage indicator , all-in-one, or similar, verify correct operation by testing a known source (incoming supply OR proving unit) (yes, again - you have shown that it worked immediately "before" and "after" testing the circuit in question.)

5. IF you are working on a part of the circuit remote from the MCB / isolator etc: LOCK IT OFF.!!

6. Test again at the remote part of the circuit to ensure the circuit you have isolated is indeed the one you are working on.

HTH

KME

M107: thanks for the reminder mate, I think it can be so easy to get complacent with the electric string, being as we`re around it all the time.

Hope the lad recovers well - our thoughts are with him......

Mr. & Mrs. KME

ive been reading this thread and have to say im very sorry to hear whats happened to both those sparks in the college, i think they were silly not to test that circuit was dead, themselves by taking the word of someone else, i wish both sparks a speedy recovery and i hope that the more serious of the two has no lasting effects.

BAdger

sorry to here about those young lads hope they get better soon

mr & mrs moose

M107: thanks for the reminder mate, I think it can be so easy to get complacent with the electric string, being as we`re around it all the time.Hope the lad recovers well - our thoughts are with him......

Mr. & Mrs. KME
your right u do get complacent but things like this make you think twice

Makes me realise why when doing my 2391 last year we had a petty laid back tutor whos back only got up when someone did use correct isolation procedures.

Time after time he used to drum in that it was the most important stage of a job.

Thoughts are with the lad and his family hope he makes a full recovery

One of the old guys i worked under whilst training always used to short out the ends of cables to double check they were dead because he never trusted anybody, so i still do the same.

Some of the younger sparks find it amusing that after 'proper' testing that the circuit is dead, i still touch the ends to earth or as today with some large armoureds, jabbed them against the enclosure just to double check, and i always will.

Makes me realise why when doing my 2391 last year we had a petty laid back tutor whos back only got up when someone did use correct isolation procedures.Time after time he used to drum in that it was the most important stage of a job.

Thoughts are with the lad and his family hope he makes a full recovery
Surely you mean 'did not use' correct isolation procedures.

Ladies & gentlemen an update for you.

The family have had a visit from NG Bailey reps & the charge hand on the job & have been informed of what happened.

I have checked that they are ok with me passing on the info & they say thank you for all the well wishes of the forum members.

The two lads involved did in actual fact carry out safe isolation.

They were in the main plant room & had isolated chamber, removed cover both checked isolated (the young lad is an apprentice, the other fella was Baileys charge hand), charge hand leaves room to call sparks at other end of circuit to say all isolated (no signal in the plant room), gets back into plant room & apprentice is looking in the chamber when it goes bang.

He wasnt doing anything to it & all they had done was to isolate. All concerned (HSE Baileys etc) are saying equipment failure & the manufacturer of equipment has now to check their kit.

I (and his parents) have no idea of who the manufacturer of the kit is...

The lad is still on the critical list in icu & this morning under went 5 hours of grafts. He has been put into a medical induced coma.

Ladies & gentlemen an update for you.The family have had a visit from NG Bailey reps & the charge hand on the job & have been informed of what happened.

I have checked that they are ok with me passing on the info & they say thank you for all the well wishes of the forum members.

The two lads involved did in actual fact carry out safe isolation.

They were in the main plant room & had isolated chamber, removed cover both checked isolated (the young lad is an apprentice, the other fella was Baileys charge hand), charge hand leaves room to call sparks at other end of circuit to say all isolated (no signal in the plant room), gets back into plant room & apprentice is looking in the chamber when it goes bang.

He wasnt doing anything to it & all they had done was to isolate. All concerned (HSE Baileys etc) are saying equipment failure & the manufacturer of equipment has now to check their kit.

I (and his parents) have no idea of who the manufacturer of the kit is...

The lad is still on the critical list in icu & this morning under went 5 hours of grafts. He has been put into a medical induced coma.
Thanks M107 for the update . Hope the family are keeping positive and the lad makes a 100% recovery . It's worrying to think that equipment failure lead to this accident , I will be taking extra care of my proving unit from now on ... :pray

Thanks for the update mate.....

Seems a bit odd that summat would just explode, through being isolated...........

Be that as it may, if that is indeed what happened; then it is simply one of the hazards of the job that can happen at any time. Next time a customer whines about your rates; remember that YOUn are the one dealing with the (potentially) deadly equipment; not them.