Electricians Mate Wages

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeward92

Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of advice/wisdom from some self-employed electricians. I'm currently training to be an electrician and I'm 22, I'm funding all of my tuition at college (because I do and adult evening course because of my age etc and the unavailability of any funding or apprenticeships in my area), I have supplied myself with a good stock of decent tools as you obviously need to and I drive a 50 mile round trip to work everyday.

I'm working for a one-man band and am being paid £30 a day on a sub-contract basis at the moment so after my 20% is deducted every week it works out at £24 , does this sound about right and just part of the journey of learning?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The experience and knowledge that I'm gaining from learning on the job is second to none and I know you have to start somewhere, and I also realise that as a self-employed one man band it must be difficult to make everything work. But like I say any advice would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pay my labourer £50/day,

mate gets £80, but he is good and knows what he is doing,

BUT,

they are NOT full time, and merely help me as and when I need them,

they both work similar for a few other blokes so it sort of keeps them in a sort of full time job,

I did have a guy with me off and on a while back that needed some on tools experience for his NVQ, he was happy with £50day,

Im only a one man band and couldnt ever afford any more tbh, I'm not on big profit margins.

This is a difficult one Jakeward .

I say that because the case may be that the guy you're working for may not actually NEED  someone  , in which case he is doing you a favour ...you are learning the trade and receiving a nominal fee .    This practical learning , onsite, is invaluable to you  and it may be necessary a couple of years.  

However if you were employed ,  ( which is probably not an option )  you would be paid the union agreed rate for an Adult Trainee  of £ 10.78 /hr  .

At the moment you are on , after tax , £3.00 hr.      I understand that this may suit your present position . 

We don't know how experienced and useful on the tools  you are so thats difficult gauge .   

In fairness to your employer , if he didn't allow your labour within his price then perhaps thats OK ........BUT  if he allowed to pay a trainee or labourer to assist him then he should pay be paying the going rate.  I would.

That being said , in due course you pass exams at college , you may have enough practical experience to go on your own .     

Are you doing Domestic only ...or Commercial  / industrial  ?  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had SE labourers offer to work for me for £20/day, not for the experience, simply for the money!

I regularly get guys who offer to work for £40/day, labourers mind, and, they are SE, and they will do a 10 or 12 hr day for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts