Unsure what to do next? Help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAF123

Reaction score
Hi All
Can anyone give some advice, i have a situation!!

My current employer has paid i think £1500 to put me on the Level 3 NVQ, I have completed around 40% of it but want to leave the company as they have stopped paying us on time and we get monthly pay so as you will understand we need the wages to be paid on time especially with it being monthly?? I am unsure what to do for the best because I dont want to leave the business and lose the work i have already completed towards the NVQ but i also can not afford to keep having my wages coming in late.
Doe's anyone know if i get a job somewhere else would my 40% coursework come with me or would i lose it and have to start again? Can i Pay for the remainder of the course myself?
In a real pickle with this one, my assessor is a family member of my Boss, so don't want to bring this up with him either!!
Any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance

I would say that is 'breach of contract' ergo if they try to claim money back they can basically swivel!

Other than that, get another job before leaving, coz even late pay is better than benefits. It does sound like your employer is struggling with cashflow and may be going bust sometime soon. So even a job with Tescos would be better than that, and with income secure you can always find another electrician to work for. Best apprentice I ever took on had spent a year working for another company, it mean't I could leave him fixing sockets and pulling cables and didn't have to watch his every move - a boost to my business rather than a first year, untrained hinderance. You could also sign on with temporary staff outfits as an electricians mate. Many companies recruit through these companies as there is nothing like seeing someone working before deciding to employ them - interviews are never a good indicator of someones work ethic.

I would say that is 'breach of contract' ergo if they try to claim money back they can basically swivel!

Other than that, get another job before leaving, coz even late pay is better than benefits. It does sound like your employer is struggling with cashflow and may be going bust sometime soon. So even a job with Tescos would be better than that, and with income secure you can always find another electrician to work for. Best apprentice I ever took on had spent a year working for another company, it mean't I could leave him fixing sockets and pulling cables and didn't have to watch his every move - a boost to my business rather than a first year, untrained hinderance. You could also sign on with temporary staff outfits as an electricians mate. Many companies recruit through these companies as there is nothing like seeing someone working before deciding to employ them - interviews are never a good indicator of someones work ethic.
Thanks for your reply, but i am still unsure what to do regarding losing my work already done if i switch employers?

Thanks for your reply, but i am still unsure what to do regarding losing my work already done if i switch employers?
I would think your college will allow you to hold onto what you have done already, or even complete the course if it's already paid for, but I have to say it's been a very long time since I was involved with any colleges. Ignore the fact the tutor is your bosses relative, go over his head if you have to and talk to a more senior person. All corporate businesses like colleges are far more interested in their reputation and have legal responsibilities, so if the relative tries to make life difficult for you, chances are you could get him sacked NB, record any discussions with that person, or make very careful notes straight after, and email a copy of any notes / points agreed / any suggested actions, for them to agree with. If you ask around I'm sure the college will have some form of student rep you can also talk to.

Have you asked why your monthly pay is late?

Re the college course:-
I think you would need to check through any employment contract you may have in case they have the right to claim back from you the costs already accumulated for the training you have received so far..?

If you are approaching this from a standpoint where you are wiling able and ready to "buy-back" the costs of the course so far paid then you have every right to continue...

But the bottom line in my book is "ALL training costs money"..
Either you stump up the money yourself, and claim all the benefits from the training...
Or if an employer pays for you, I would think they have reasonably grounds to expect some return for their investment...?

If you jump-ship, part way through some paid for training, I can't really see how you could claim rights to complete any course you haven't personally paid for... ?

Just as if you leave a company you are no longer entitled to access any company vehicles, tools, offices etc.. So can't see how you are entitled to access a training course purchased and owned by your employer?

I suspect this could be a bit more legally complex than it may appear on face-value?

Dunno if this link helps or not???
https://lincslaw.co.uk/blog/can-my-...usly consented (in writing) to this deduction.