Electricians tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no

NEVER

however, on saying that, if you no longer want to put them in your sets you could always send me a few dozen of the surplus ones and they may well see my days out for me,

or just shorten the amount of days I have left if you listen to some a lot of folks.

neons are like every other piece of test equipment, if looked after and used properly they have their place,

if abused and used improperly they have the potential to kill, so does a stanley knife!

Now that is a really good question, thank you.We are quite a traditional company and for many years we have supplied them as part of a screwdriver set.

We would be very interested to hear how many other forum members feel they have outlived their usefulness - it may be time for a change
For about ten years the only use of a neon is to stir the tea. Even then we have seen them light up.

Neons do not belong in a sparks tool kit end of I turned up on my first day with one and my boss at the time threw it in the bin so I've been brought in the same way

You may want to start putting a ck tea spoon in the sets as they would be more use

Neons do not belong in a sparks tool kit end of I turned up on my first day with one and my boss at the time threw it in the bin so I've been brought in the same wayYou may want to start putting a ck tea spoon in the sets as they would be more use
I disagree,

turn up to work anywhere pre '95 without a neon and how were you going to test anything?

neons do not belong in a numpties toolkit, used properly they are a most amazing timesaving piece of kit,

used wrongly and you deserve that fricking heart seizure you just got,

its simply darwinism !

Did Darwin invent the neon screwdriver then?

Or did he just give them to the monkey's to play with?

default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

I have a question.I use some CK tools and quite rate them as professional quality. They're not low-end DIY tools so why do you insist on sneaking a neon test screwdriver in with a set of otherwise decent screwdrivers. It's always been both a mystery and a disappointment to me especially as neon screwdrivers are useless as a screwdriver and even more useless as a piece of test equipment.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm belittling your products as that's not my intention, I really am interested in the motivation behind this, be it a marketing one or a technical one.
Utter nonsense. Been using the Ck red and yellow neon indicator driver for many years and has never let me down. I know they are frowned upon by the gods but they save so much time and effort and not only that they are excellent build quality.

Rant over

Never use a neon driver - and neither do any other sparks I know. In fact the only people I know who do use them are 'maintenance men' or DIY'ers! Says it all really lol

Use them on pcb terminals as they are so small and intercom stuff as they have very small terminals. Handy yes. Do I use the neon indicator no!

I USED to have one - might still be an odd one kicking about somewhere - but I don`t like the principle; and have other tools which do the same job properly, and a lot safer.

Sorry Albert - I disagree with you on this one. I do accept that they are useful IF in "the right hands".......but we all know that there are less and less people in this industry who are competent to do the work they do......... Find myself concurring with Ovram on this mate.

Neons do not belong in a sparks tool kit end of I turned up on my first day with one and my boss at the time threw it in the bin so I've been brought in the same way
So what do you use instead of a neon screwdriver?

I have a neon driver in my kit, it's great for checking for joists

....neons are like every other piece of test equipment, if looked after and used properly they have their place,
One of my many issues with a neon screwdriver is that it's a screwdriver hence not likely to be treated with the same kid gloves as any other piece of test equipment therefore leading to unreliability. You wouldn't use the clamp on your fluke ammeter as a pair of pliers so why would it be acceptable to double a mains voltage neon tester as a screwdriver?

Neons do not belong in a sparks tool kit end of I turned up on my first day with one and my boss at the time threw it in the bin so I've been brought in the same wayI have also forbidden them for my employees many years ago. They have properly calibrated and capable test equipment, I also don't allow those non-contact voltstick type testers either.

You may want to start putting a ck tea spoon in the sets as they would be more use
Maybe a telescopic teacup would be useful especially in the UK, in other countries you could supply a telescopic cappuccino cup instead :)

I disagree,turn up to work anywhere pre '95 without a neon and how were you going to test anything?

neons do not belong in a numpties toolkit, used properly they are a most amazing timesaving piece of kit,

used wrongly and you deserve that fricking heart seizure you just got,

its simply darwinism !
Utter nonsense. Been using the Ck red and yellow neon indicator driver for many years and has never let me down. I know they are frowned upon by the gods but they save so much time and effort and not only that they are excellent build quality. Rant over
I can't help feeling that being pro-neon screwdriver is contradictory when you have regs demanding that test probes are shielded in insulation and all test equipment requires periodic calibration and testing.

I can't help feeling that being pro-neon screwdriver is contradictory when you have regs demanding that test probes are shielded in insulation and all test equipment requires periodic calibration and testing.
The shaft of my neon screwdriver is insulated. Tick.

I regularly "test" my neon screwdriver by probing a known live circuit and it lights up. Calibrated. Tick.

:coat

HEATHENS the lot o ye !

how many of you have another one touch detection device?

One of my many issues with a neon screwdriver is that it's a screwdriver hence not likely to be treated with the same kid gloves as any other piece of test equipment therefore leading to unreliability. You wouldn't use the clamp on your fluke ammeter as a pair of pliers so why would it be acceptable to double a mains voltage neon tester as a screwdriver?
then thats the fault of the spark for failing to look after his test equipment properly,

personally I NEVER use mine as an actual screwdriver, thats what in my mind causes harm and can cause internal cracking and therefore danger,

Ive got one that doesnt even have a blade, just a point.