Emergency lighting & PIR wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone could have a look at this rough wiring diagram ive done & let me know if it would work ok.

Im working as an electricians mate for a different firm this week. Im not very familiar with emergency lighting or PIRs & my supervisor isnt very good at explaining things as he`s always really busy. He gave me a rough explanation of what he wants me to do tomorrow, im just trying to work out if ive got the right idea.

Ive got to second fix some 3 & 4 pin gregs for the lighting & PIRs in several small rooms. The drawing ive attached is the room he showed me.

First point, light - 2 twin & earths, 1 three core

Second point, PIR - 1 twin & earth, 1 three core

Third point, Emergency light - 1 twin & earth, 1 single brown & earth

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers :)

05-07-2011 18;20;56.jpg

Yup - that`ll work, as long as you ensure the aux wire on the pir is to L1 (perm. live) term of PIR, and "L" is switched output from PIR - with 1 caveat.

The em light has supplies from two different circuits? So the light won`t illuminate on failure of the T+E supply you show on the right. Further, technically the test switch to the em. light should remove ALL live supplies.

You could also have an issue if the supply from the "other" circuit is on a different phase - the em. light, and associated plug/socket would have 400v within - you`d need to label it as such.

I wouldn`t be happy with that design for the em. light - electrically, it`ll work, but it doesn`t meet the necessary standards.

HTH

KME

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:47 ----------

If the single brown + earth is from another circuit; you`re also "borrowing" a neutral at the em. light.

Sorry, just remembered.

The single brown is from the same circuit, just different room. The circuit covers a few small rooms which have there own switching & PIRs.

I agree, its not the best circuit design.

Someone else wired it before the ceilings were boarded, which is why i found it a bit confusing.

Cheers

You got it spot on, and as andy says its not ideal the em switching feeding several rooms, always better to have the key switch in the same room, also em lighting wired in the same wiring. Sometimes people like to wire them in FP200 which will last longer than the T+E so you may lose your normal lighting and not switch over to the em lighting.

oohhhhhget you and your fancy coloured pens!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol........... Weve got to use the right colours at college.

btw, i pinched the pens off my niece !! :innocent

Thanks for your replys guys.

Ive been doing some more emergency lighting over the past few days at work,

i think its starting to sink in now........... :pray