Emergency Lighting Problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runner

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Got a problem with some emergency lights I installed.

They are individually wired at different points into the only lighting circuit.

I've fitted a keyswitch which is wired directly from the lighting circuit (old bakelite rewireable fuse type) and then the existing circuit comes out of that.

When I test the keyswitch the lights go out and the emergency lights come on as expected. The emergency lights have the green led 'on' to show they are charging.

The customer complained that they were coming on randomly and also at times whilst the main lights were on, so I went back to check everything and all seemed fine.

Whilst there I swapped out the keyswitch for another in case there was some fault with it (which I didn't think likely). Still the customer has same problem.

As the lights are connected individually and not daisy chained and all 3 are doing it I can only think that perhaps the buildings incoming 230v is dropping off somehow

and the lights detect that as a power cut ???

I can't believe all 3 lights are faulty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OSWALD Good thinking but wouldn't that only effect the light which had been wired into a switch live and not all 3 lights, unless I managed to pick up 3 switch lives !!!

Worth a look ?

I just need a handle of ideas that I can work through on next visit so thankyo for suggestion.

ANDY Could you elaborate DP switching (cutting neutral) ??

When they come on , is it all 3 together or just one or two ?

And your last statement " I can't believe all 3 lights are faulty" HHHHmmmm never rule out anything in this game Runner , specially if it involves an electronic circuit board.

Yes all 3 together which is the odd thing, if it was just one or two then I'd say wired wrong or maybe faulty light.

The customer says it is completely random, one morning they came in and the emergency lights were on and another

time they came on in the day ?

OSWALD Good thinking but wouldn't that only effect the light which had been wired into a switch live and not all 3 lights, unless I managed to pick up 3 switch lives !!!Worth a look ?

I just need a handle of ideas that I can work through on next visit so thankyo for suggestion.

ANDY Could you elaborate DP switching (cutting neutral) ??
DP switching cuts sw. live & neutral, but not perm live. light thinks power failure and lights up

Thanks Andy, I see what you mean now.

Thanks guys for idea's.

Think i'll go and check first what I've wired into and then take it from there.

Thanks