Evening guys. Quick question...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny619447

Reaction score
I am doing a last few mock tests to prepare for my 2330 Level 2 tomorrow and I have this question.

Q: Power factor is defined as the ratio of:

A: Reactive power to apparent power

B: Reactive power to current

C: Voltage to current

D: True power to apparent power

I am pretty sure its "D" but I have searched the internet and Wiki says:

"The power factor of an AC electric power system is defined as the ratio of the real power flowing to the load to the apparent power in the circuit"

This isn't one of the answers! headbang

Could someone please confirm that I am right and maybe "real power" is another phrase for "true power".

Just makes things so much more confusing on an already complicated enough subject for them to have different words for the same thing.

Thanks for any advice

Jonny

Yep, by "real" they mean "true". Also seen it written as "applied active power". I'd stick with calling it TRUE. Anyway PF = True Power/Apparent Power. You would do well to get yourself the Basic & Advanced books by Watkins & Kitcher titled "Electrical Installation Calculations".

Yep, by "real" they mean "true". Also seen it written as "applied active power". I'd stick with calling it TRUE. Anyway PF = True Power/Apparent Power. You would do well to get yourself the Basic & Advanced books by Watkins & Kitcher titled "Electrical Installation Calculations".
Yes; the true (in phase) power was called the "wattfull"

component, the apparent power was just that and the

reactive was called the "wattless" component. It is a

step to understanding later work and how reactances

work in AC circuits when power factor is modified or

corrected.

Thanks for the answers guys. It is definately a steep learning curve.

Who would be a sparky ROTFWL

Thanks again.

Latest posts