Ex-sparky's house

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spent most of my day fault finding lights in a house wired by a sparky 5-8 years ago....

its some of the worst wiring i have seen. cable go the opposite way to what you would expect, most lights are wired with JB's above them/under floors. doesnt help when you need to locate said JB's.... and in some cases, they are not next to the light. Also doesnt help when the room has laminate either

Laminate floors! I tell my customers they have to be removed for a rewire before my electricians go in.Or a reasonable trap access has to be made, otherwise I walk away.

Andy, I presume your title means a spark was the previous owner.

Remember the old saying, "A cobblers son is the worst shod" (or something like that).

well im a sparky, and ive rewired the whole house, put cctv cameras everywhere, installed a full intruder alarm galaxy 60 zone panel with dialler and also networked the internet and server throughout the house and the whole house is in perfect wiring condition. ;)

i just finished a kitchen, previous owner was a well respected contractor, what a nightmare, bits of cable, joint box's every were, 4mm feeding the shower, he must have got free joint box's ,ended up double the time,,, but saying that i still have to change a light fitting in my house and that has been out for 8 months,,,

Andy, I presume your title means a spark was the previous owner.Remember the old saying, "A cobblers son is the worst shod" (or something like that).
yes, it was the previous owner.

now the wiring in my house isnt the best either, bits added here and there, no paperwork etc, but its all done safely. and no hidden JB's