Extending 3 light switches to New Positions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afternoon All

Just wanted to thank you all again for your comments and advice on a solution to this. I've had another chat with my uncle and told him how dangerous the current installation is with no earth, no RCD and the problems this causes with running the extension to the light switches and meeting regs.

So, next tlc order will be a new split way RCD consumer unit and some Super Rods as i've talked myself into rodding new T&E for all the lights and sockets as well as then trying to get these fed from where the new consumer unit will be located.

Basically the office is now getting a full re-wire upstairs and down (there's no plasterboard downstairs or ceiling so that'll be the easy part)

good that its getting a re-wire, but the fact you appear to be doing the work, even though you dont seem competent (by your own admissions), is quite scary.

do you have a plan on how your going to wire this? have you got enough experiance to make sure the install is done safely and to 7671? do you have the required test kit to test everything is safe? will you issuing the EIC?

Hi Andy

I'm confident with running brand new circuits for lights and sockets as covered this on the previous stage of my electrician training. Was more concerned with trying to replace/extend cables with wiring I've not seen before as with this and those screw cap things.

I've got a Megger 1552 tester and although we did some testing in the 1st week the next week is dedicated to it. I've also got a copy of Docs book, so by the time I actually come to test the installation I should have had some practice.

I've also hopefully got it agreed with another local qualified local spark that they will pop in and check cable runs, then re-test for me to confirm my results and finally connect the new consumer unit up to the mains supply once they're happy.