Double light switch replacement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Trimby

Reaction score
Hi
I am replacing a double kitchen light switch circa 2002 and on removing there are more cables than anticipated. The new switch has a different layout and fewer connections than the old so I am confused as to regards transplanting over to the new layout. I have posted pics of the current installation and the rear of the new switch.
Hoping someone can assist.
Regards
Craig

moved from "introduce yourself"

Attachments

• IMG-20240201-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240201-WA0000.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20240201-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240201-WA0003.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240201-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240201-WA0002.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240201-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240201-WA0001.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Well done for taking the picture BEFORE you took the old switch off.

As above exactly as it was except one switch has it's terminals the other way up. Some switches are made like that.

Also note that the blues and yellows are not interchangable. So the blue and yellow from one cable go into one switch and the blue and yellow from the other cable go into the other switch. Mix them up and you will get some really unpredictable results.

And don't forget to attach an earth wire to the earth terminal on the switch. The existing earth does not even connect to the metal back box.

Well done for taking the picture BEFORE you took the old switch off.

As above exactly as it was except one switch has it's terminals the other way up. Some switches are made like that.

Also note that the blues and yellows are not interchangable. So the blue and yellow from one cable go into one switch and the blue and yellow from the other cable go into the other switch. Mix them up and you will get some really unpredictable results.

And don't forget to attach an earth wire to the earth terminal on the switch. The existing earth does not even connect to the metal back box.
Thank you. That's a great help

Latest posts