Extractor fan switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I am installing an inline fan for a bathroom and utility room. 1 inline, timer fan, ducted into the bathroom and the utility room. I want to switch the fan from the bathroom light and I want a separate switch (on the lighting circuit but not operated by the light switch) in the utility room.

I think that most of these fans (if you are not using the timer) need the 2 live terminals shorted out to operate meaning that, if I just run a switch wire from the second switch, to the switched live in the fan, it will feed back to (and operate) the bathroom light.

If I connect it straight into the permanent live terminal I don't think the fan will operate at all.

Basically I need an inline, timed fan with 1 permanent live and 2 switch wire terminals but I can't for the life of me find one... anyone know of such a (reasonably priced) fan or any bright wiring ideas not involving relays!!

I am installing an inline fan for a bathroom and utility room. 1 inline, timer fan, ducted into the bathroom and the utility room. I want to switch the fan from the bathroom light and I want a separate switch (on the lighting circuit but not operated by the light switch) in the utility room.I think that most of these fans (if you are not using the timer) need the 2 live terminals shorted out to operate meaning that, if I just run a switch wire from the second switch, to the switched live in the fan, it will feed back to (and operate) the bathroom light.

If I connect it straight into the permanent live terminal I don't think the fan will operate at all.

Basically I need an inline, timed fan with 1 permanent live and 2 switch wire terminals but I can't for the life of me find one... anyone know of such a (reasonably priced) fan or any bright wiring ideas not involving relays!!
Hello Elvis.

Ignore the electric bits a minute.... what is the basic requirement needed?

am I right in thinking you want a fan to come on,

AND

continue with a run on timer,

to be trigged in daylight or when light needs to be on?

What about a ceiling mounted PIR with built in timer to trigger your fan,

so works with or without light on?

Nah SL - I think he wants to oerate an inline fan for 2 different rooms - using 2 different switches.

In which case - relay is the only way to go (unless you put 2 duct fans in, and join the ducting post-fan.

I`d use a relay.

KME

Nah SL - I think he wants to oerate an inline fan for 2 different rooms - using 2 different switches.In which case - relay is the only way to go (unless you put 2 duct fans in, and join the ducting post-fan.

I`d use a relay.

KME
Ok.... so just check the logic of this a minute??

LightSw|ManualSw| FAN|LIGHT

-------|----------|-----|------

_OFF__|__OFF___|OFF_|OFF

_OFF__|__ON____|ON__|OFF

_ON___|__OFF___|ON__|ON

_ON___|__ON____|ON__|ON

i.e. manual switch MUST not cause light to come on!

Cant we achieve this by having a TWO WAY switch in the trigger supply to the fan.

i.e.

Light & switch wired as norm.

Switched live from light also branch onto one side of Two way switch.

Other side of two way switch wired to a perm live.

The common of two way switch goes to trigger of Fan.

so if two-way 'off'' trigger to fan can come from light..

but if two-way 'on' trigger to fan is on.. but no juice back to light bulb:D

is that any good ?

or have I still got me pants on me head??? :(

2 different rooms. Both with vents connected to 1 fan - thence outside......

1 room (utility) - use dedicated switch to fire fan.

1 room (b/room) - use light switch to fire same fan, with bathroom light.

therefore - bathroom light switch feeds relay to fan.

dedicated switch paralled to relay output.

QED

KME

TTFN

FAN.jpg

Just come up with the same thing Specs, S/L on fan -------common on 2way switch, Bathroom Switchwire ------one of the strapper terms, Live feed -------other strapper term. Put the 2 way switch in Utility Room.

Seems to work. Unless I have my pants on head too !!

Deke

Just come up with the same thing Specs, S/L on fan -------common on 2way switch, Bathroom Switchwire ------one of the strapper terms, Live feed -------other strapper term. Put the 2 way switch in Utility Room.Seems to work. Unless I have my pants on head too !!

Deke
ignore me. looks like its me with pants on head!

No , the S/L term in the fan is common to either the live feed in L1 and the bathroom S/Wire in L2. This switch is fitted in Utility.Or are my pants still on my head ? :)

Deke
i drew a nice little diagram on paper to try and work out if it would work... and had both as 2 way switch... then noticed it only needs 1 2-way

No , the S/L term in the fan is common to either the live feed in L1 and the bathroom S/Wire in L2. This switch is fitted in Utility.Or are my pants still on my head ? :)

Deke
If they are the green pair... they are yours deke! :D

Yellow..... mine.

Green..... KME's

Blue..... AndyC's

Pink... Admin1's

Black(with the lace).. Admin2's:O

Brown... You do not want to ask!!! :eek: :^O:^O:^O

ignore me. looks like its me with pants on head!
who said that??????

you way would work as well .. :D

just you would need a double pole, switch in the bathroom..

as compared to a bog standard Single pole, one way, cord pull. :)

who said that??????you way would work as well .. :D

just you would need a double pole, switch in the bathroom..

as compared to a bog standard Single pole, one way, cord pull. :)
you can get double pole pull switches. but no where near as popular as 2 way switches

Just to add...

although some people don't seem to bother installing fan isolator switches,

(I always do! ;) )

in this particular case where there are two possible trigger points in different rooms,

for safe maintenance / isolation a three pole fan switch somewhere local to the fan would be very important IMHO...

This is how I would probably do it...

warning.. dodgy picture coming up!!!

ok..

so me earths are omited.. :eek: , (for clarity!)

and it's drawn to the old colour code's! :(

and I didn't plan me sketch for the neutral to fit in nicely... :(

but you clever sparky type persons can get the gist I am sure!!!:DBlushing

anybody got any nice Brown & Blue pens for colouring pictures?Blushing:p

Can we just clarify a couple of things:

1. Andy`s drawing will indeed work (congrats - I feel a "scoob" moment coming on)

2. Would persons please note the difference between a 2 way switch, a 2 gang switch, and a double pole switch.

If you don`t know the difference, don`t pretend to be a spark.

KME

Latest posts