Extractor fan switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 way switch - allows 2 (or more) switched to operate same light

2 gang switch - 2 sepearte switched for 2 circuits

Double Pole switch - breaks both L & N not just L

me thinks?

Conjecturally - yes.

In reality - yes, but it would be a "special"

2 gang 2 way is the east bit - in DP would be awkward.

even 1 gang 2 way 2 pole would be finicky.

probably cheaper to use a generic switch, to a relay - they come in 3 pole, and are 2 way as standard :)

2 of `em could give you a 2 gang 2 way 3 pole

OR a 1 gang 3 way 2 pole

FYI

2 way switch - allows 2 (or more) switched to operate same light2 gang switch - 2 sepearte switched for 2 circuits

Double Pole switch - breaks both L & N not just L

me thinks?
Or to be more strictly correct..

A double pole switch breaks TWO conductors simultaneously..

(generally this would be Live & neutral...)

e.g. Showier cord pull switch, Switched Fused Spur etc..

But in AndyC's illustration he is using it to switch TWO lives...

If adopting this method, it would be wise to stick a note at the switch if it did have engraved L/N symbols on/at the terminals to identify that NO neutral is present.

The Fan isolator is a Three pole one way switch, breaking Three conductors symultainiously... Perm Live / Switch Live / Neutral

:D

Well which way are you doing it Elvis ?, Its now or Never, don't get into a Mess of Blues over it. Of course If you're Lonesome Tonight you are Always on our Mind so tune in to the Forum and we'll Help you make it Through the Night.

Deke has left the building.

Elvis is back in the building!

I am liking your style guys, much praise and many thanks. The two way switch did occur to me but I couldn't quite get my head round it so cheers again.

Yet again I escape the pesky relay!! Guiness Drink

If adopting this method, it would be wise to stick a note at the switch if it did have engraved L/N symbols on/at the terminals to identify that NO neutral is present.
surely if all conductors inside are sleeved then there is no need for a note?

Elvis is back in the building! I am liking your style guys, much praise and many thanks. The two way switch did occur to me but I couldn't quite get my head round it so cheers again.

Yet again I escape the pesky relay!! Guiness Drink
Hello Elvis,

Welcome to the forum. You appear to have evaluated the level of the membership here; Helpful, Knowledgeable, But with a tendency to drift off on occasions. Admin somehow manages to keep them all in check and I am sure you will fit in very comfortably.

Doc H.

Should point out it is for my own hoose so if anyone gets plated from dodgy unmarked wiring it will be me!

Just wanted to say cheers guys,

Installed today using two way switch in utility room and all functioned as per design so well done special Location Guiness Drink who's diaphram I used... but cheers to everyone who posted.

Quite entertaining reading over it all again,

?:-/

:) You could try the polar range switches. The switches are interchangable and are a fraction of the cost of grid. :)

OOOps. Just read rest of posts. See you've cracked it.

What was the wiring and parts required then to get this working? Been told it's not possible...

I've got a similar design: bathroom on manual switch, ducted to a utility room extractor fan which has a humidstat in that room.

Bathroom ---------duct--------------- Utility [fan]

S/L to fan humidistat in utility room.

Switched FCU Isolator is in Utility room.

Bathroom switch to trigger fan (not the light switch, but a separate gang)

Which cables are required?

Cheers.

Just wanted to say cheers guys,Installed today using two way switch in utility room and all functioned as per design so well done special Location Guiness Drink who's diaphram I used... but cheers to everyone who posted.

Quite entertaining reading over it all again,

?:-/

Latest posts