Fan isolator switches...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
Whats the opinion on installing these?

I shall give you the scenario.

Bathroom 4" fan with pullcord. Situated in bathroom. Fed from bathroom light. Lighting circuit is RCD protected.

Can the fan be fed straight from the light? Or do I need to loop outside the room to a isolator switch and then back to the fan?

In the past I have installed these fan switches but they are traditionally installed above bathroom doors, out of reach. And customers often look confused as to why they are there.

Is there a reg that states they are required? I can understand the need for a switched fused spur if say a kitchen fan is part of the ring to enable the fan to be correctly fused. But on a lighting circuit?

Isnt it something to do with maintenance? Being able to work on the fan safely without shutting off all the circuit. But is there a regulation stating this?

Many thanks.

Isnt it something to do with maintenance? Being able to work on the fan safely without shutting off all the circuit. But is there a regulation stating this?
This is the issue AFIK - you need to provide a means of isolating it for service. It's not intended as a way of turning it on or off in general use. You know what the regs book is like - one chapter says one thing, the next contradicts it, so I'd go with fitting the isolator on grounds of common sense. But I do seem to recall some regs somewhere saying you need an isolator. Book's in the van or I'd have a look!

It's the reason it is a 3 pole switch - complete isolation for maintanance etc. Would be a ****** changing the fan in the dark in a dingy bathroom.

Whats the opinion on installing these?I shall give you the scenario.

Bathroom 4" fan with pullcord. Situated in bathroom. Fed from bathroom light. Lighting circuit is RCD protected.

Can the fan be fed straight from the light? Or do I need to loop outside the room to a isolator switch and then back to the fan?

In the past I have installed these fan switches but they are traditionally installed above bathroom doors, out of reach. And customers often look confused as to why they are there.

Is there a reg that states they are required? I can understand the need for a switched fused spur if say a kitchen fan is part of the ring to enable the fan to be correctly fused. But on a lighting circuit?

Many thanks.
howdo Robbo...

here my tuppenceworth...Guiness Drink

1/ Manufactures instructions....

I cannot remember seeing an extractor fan that did not say it required a fused spur and/or a 3pole isolator switch.

THUS regulation 134.1.1

2/ If homeowner see's smoke coming out of an electrical appliance thats gone faulty, or can smell burning... (cuz the fan blades are jammed but the motors trying to turn)... They would want to turn something off..

{but may still like a light on to take a pee without hitting the carpet!Blushing}

3/ If an electrician or repair man comes round to look at the faulty item & its 3:30pm on a dull winter days and the rooms quite dark so he wants a light on........ but doesn't want power to the fan while he is sticking the new fan in, he would want a point of isolation!

4/ Health & Saftey at work says something about NOT working on live equipment unless there is absolutely no other possible way to do the work!

5/ the fan doesn't need 6A, 3A probably more than enough.. possibly only 1A. so same reason as for your fan on a ring IMHO, correctly fused! I am betting your fan instructions say 3A fuse via DP switch required! 3three pole if run-on timer!

6/ IMHO if I saw a fan without an isolator switch I would think it was a DIY cowboy job NOT a professional spark! :|

7/ Can you think of any good reasons NOT to install one? ;) ?:|

just add an extra 3/4 hour &

Robbo

If fan is pullcord model it probably has no overun on it. If you don't want to put isolation switch outside get an Ashley three pole pullcord.

Batty