Farm 125A TPN+E Commando/Reyroll Socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a call today from a farm where I have done work in the past, but not for that last few years, same old story someone cheaper than me stepped in.

Anyway the farm has been visited by H&S and they were concerned that in two buildings there are two 125A TPN+E Commando/Reyroll Sockets mounted below a 3 Phase Distribution Board in each building with no Isolation Switch.

My first thoughts were, well you could open the door to the board and isolate there, so I opened the door and looked for the appropriate TP Mcb, thinking 63A.

This is when it started getting interesting, there was no TP Mcb but there was a 125A TP Switch Disconnecter, where you would expect the mcb to be.

This Distribution board has a 4 Pole 125A Switch Disconnecter and is fed from another building where I assume the main intake is, however I could not get access today so will be popping back.

the other building I had access to has he same.

The 125A supply is for a mobile grain dryer which can be put in either building, and as a 63A TP Mcb is the largest that can fit these boards, the electrician has fitted switch disconnecters, the son advised the dryer is over 63A.

So the fusing that supplies each main board is also the fusing for the 125A socket through the 125A switch disconnecter.

What's your views on this, my first thoughts were no this is not right, but I keep thinking if all cables sizes are correct, is it actually that wrong, with the fusing protecting cabling through it's length.

By the way I was asked to change the sockets to isolation type, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
chances are, the board is only designed for 63a per way, so exceeding that could cause busbars to overheat. i would also guess that it hasnt been installed to manufacturers instructions either

You really NEED to see what's feeding these boards. Given what you have found, it wouldn't surprise me to find they are also fed just from a 125A switch disconnector, leaving just the DNO's fuse for protection.

You also NEED to find the rating of the mobile grain dryer, so you can start designing a safe reconfiguration of the circuits.

If its that large a load it needs its own switch fuse which can then be used as the isolator and the socket below it. Farms are always the worse place for dodgy electrics well they seem to be around my way.

You really NEED to see what's feeding these boards. Given what you have found, it wouldn't surprise me to find they are also fed just from a 125A switch disconnector, leaving just the DNO's fuse for protection.You also NEED to find the rating of the mobile grain dryer, so you can start designing a safe reconfiguration of the circuits.
Dave, yes I agree, I was a bit annoyed today after being asked to call in and then the farmer had gone off and left his son behind who knew nothing.

This work looks fairly recent and I would say within that last year, so something has gone on.

Worst thing with farmers is that you will say what needs doing to meet regs and be safe and they will turn round and say 'well it's worked fine for these years, I think you are trying to rip me off, now sod off'.

You need to find out what is feeding this board and look at the whole picture. As already mentioned if the board has been tampered with and not installed to manufacturers instructions, straight away it's a fail. If the farmer has a prob with you wanting to put things right get him to phone the guy that did it in the first place and let them take responsibility. Shoddy work should not be encouraged and safety should not be compromised for cost.

***Update***

Emailed farmer with my views on the whole installation with concerns for correct design, fusing, isolation and shared supply.

He phoned to say he was concerned by my comments as part of the installation had only been completed just over 12 months ago, and to advise me that he had contacted the main contractor who built the Barn/Shed and they were also concerned and in turn would get the Electrical sub-contractor back to site with them to view said installation and if found incorrect would be put right at no cost to client.

Bleeding hell, done myself out of another job.

You should charge for consultancy, after all this is what you have done & for nowt, not good for anyone except the tight wad farmer! ;)

It's usually the case with farmers at least 'hopefully' it will get put right now.

Latest posts