Faulty Neutral

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy

Reaction score
In a radial circuit of 7 sockets I've got faullty neutral in two of them, the third and fifth socket. I measured the voltage L-N=110V, L-E=242V. Replaced both sockets and still the same problem. Anyone got the answer?

Hello good evening and welcome! :D

quick questions Jimmy..

1] are you an electrician? I presume yes cuz you use the word "Radial"? :)

2] what are you using to read you voltages?

3] where are you taking your readings? back of socket? or via a plug top?

ie. are we looking at a basic DIY multimeter?

or a more expensive calibrated test meter?

If cheaper meter could be an open circuit connection and meter is displaying spurious voltage with just one lead.

If reading on front of socket could be fault switch on socket outlet if Double pole switching?

What is normal plugged into these sockets? any high power stuff i.e. heaters?

It would suggest an open circuit on the nuetral as special location says, what is strange is by your comments socket 4 appears to be ok?

This would point to the socket switches staying closed when you open them.(assuming double pole switching). Wander lead the circuit, and check end to end continuity.

OH and welcome to the forum.

How are you measuring the voltage?

Via the socket front or have you removed the socket from wall and measuring at the terminals?

If it is the former it could be bad contacts in the socket if a cheap make.

sounds verry much like my 2330-303 assesment same sort of problem.. found it to be nail through the twin and earth ...

Hello Jimmy welcome to the forum. Are you getting the low voltage on both sides of the socket. I would assume you have taken the front of the socket off if you are testing L-N.

Batty

Have you tried measuring voltage between Neutral / CPC if so what did you get. would say possible borrowed neutral but you are only getting it at 2 points CJS