First Elecsa Assesment Job - Worrying!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray-bentos

Reaction score
Hi

Got my first Elecsa assessment next week after finally deciding to go it alone.

Not done any notifiable work so far, LABC costs make it prohibitively expensive so need to get registered.

Completing a consumer unit change for my mum, going to use it as my assessment piece, just hit a potential snag (I think I've convinced myself its OK, check my reckoning):

Just been to assess the job this evening ahead of tomorrows job, noticed what could be a problem.

The shower is an 9.5KW on 6mm T&E. The cable goes up from the CU to the ceiling clipped direct to wall, perhaps 2m within the void between down & upstairs (so would assume clipped direct in there, no thermal insulation to worry about) upon where it goes up through an airing cupboard (again, clipped direct) to the switch in loft (no insulation covering) and back down again to the shower (as far as I can tell all clipped direct). Its currently on a 32amp MCB but I plan to up this with new CU. If it was an install I had done myself I would have changed for 10mm however after some discussion with my customer (MUM!) upgrading the cable is out of the question (IE: it worked fine before....)

According to OSG 6mm clipped direct is good for 47amp, and as its only a short run (I estimate maximum 12m) volt drop is only 3.2V so well within value. I haven't used a clamp meter to confirm exactly what current is being drawn (my clamp meter is only cheap so not the most accurate) however if we work on worst case scenario (9500/230=41.3) can I use a 45amp MCB, should provide protection against short circuit (bearing in mind 6mm REF method C) within the capabilities of the cable, and note on some sort of design sheet my calculations to show I'm not just trying to wing it?

Well the issue is my assessment so everything needs to be A1, I wouldn't worry under normal circumstances but I'm not sure how anal the assessors are?

This brings another problem to the fray which is my chosen CU only has 40 or 50amp MCBs.  I know there is no requirement to provide overload protection for fixed loads but then my breaker is lower than my design current at 40amp and 50amp is above the 47amp allowed by the cable?

Alternative is to use an MK Sentry CU which has the 45amp breaker option

Remember that the 9.5kW rating will be at 240V and not 230V, when you calculate it down to 230V its actually 8.7kW

How is it getting higher at 230V

You need to work out the resistance of the shower to work the ratings back

Power and current are not a constant in these calculations, resistance is!

Remember that the 9.5kW rating will be at 240V and not 230V, when you calculate it down to 230V its actually 8.7kW

How is it getting higher at 230V

You need to work out the resistance of the shower to work the ratings back

Power and current are not a constant in these calculations, resistance is!
Yes I see that with the resistance being 6.063, but how do we know it's calculated at 240V.

Always is for some reason, maybe the manufacturers are trying to make us think we're getting more than we're paying for.

Got one here on the job im finishing off...

Triton Cara

8.5kW (Nominal) 240V AC

7.8kW (Nominal) 230V AC

I've not done a shower in a while, but thats interesting they are still rated 240V.
Learn something every day, you would have thought by now it would be 230V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fray Bentos , just fit a 40A  to the shower ,  they're only on for 10 mins tops . 

I had a similar thing not long ago with a 10.5KW   on a 40A  MCB   no probs after 3 months.

I'm an ELECSA ite  and rest assured you will accepted into the ELECSA fold  along with your cheque for the £400 odd  . 

Assuming you meet all the other criteria which they wrote to you about ,   Testers ,   calibration certs,   insurance , latest regs , OSG  on & on ad nauseum,

cycling proficiency badge,    the odd C&Gs might be useful ,     you will be asked to carry out some testing and make sure you remember  the recommended values for Ze  on  a TN-S   ........ TNC-S  & TT   . Favourite question .    

Stop worrying ..you'll be fine .

Many years ago I had a stand up argument with my assessor as I did not know , or could not remember( same thing) Ze for TT.

I told him that I did not care as in 30+ years I had NEVER worked on a TT system. AND IF I needed to know what it was I would look it up in a book........i HAVE still NEVER had to look it up in a book!!!

Should start a new thread......"everyday electrical things I have NEVER done"

Just.....missing out on life in general really

Last assessment I was suddenly asked what the recommended air changes were for kitchens & bathrooms .   Like Kerch  I look that stuff up on a need to know basis ,last time was about 6 yrs ago,    this prompted the comment that I was obviously rusty on the Building Regs  which apparently is now a requirement .    

Blimey !!!  They'll be insisting that builders know them next .  

Scenario.......

Doctor treating a patient finds he has to prescribe a drug that he has never used before, does not know the exact dosage

Does he

A). Take a wid stab in the dark at a figure plucked out of thin air?

B). Take an educated guess based upon experience?

C). Look in a book to confirm/tell him what to do?

Just hypothesising.......

Scenario.......

Doctor treating a patient finds he has to prescribe a drug that he has never used before, does not know the exact dosage

Does he

A). Take a wid stab in the dark at a figure plucked out of thin air?

B). Take an educated guess based upon experience?

C). Look in a book to confirm/tell him what to do?

Just hypothesising.......
How much effort will it take to find my book, exactly? ;)