Fixing catenary wire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hello all

I've searched through lots of other posts referring to catenary wire, but haven't found what I want.

I've not done this before, hence why some pictorial help would be very useful. I need to run some cable from the house to the shed (distance of 5m) to supply power to charge a disability chair.

I've seen the attachments for starting the wire from the house, but at the shed end, I need to raise the cable/wire by about 2feet. Someone has suggested using "41mm square unistrut".

It seems like quite a straightforward task, but I want to do it properly and thought if anyone had some pictures of how they've used catenary wire, it would help explain it's application a bit more. I was thinking of using "hi-tuf" cable but if anyone thinks something else would be more suitable, I'm all ears.

As always, any help appreciated.

Nat

Got no pictures...

sorry..

but fixing all your bits together are fairly straight forward..

Steel Catenary Wire and Accessories

At the shed end..

any suitably high and secure pole that you can fix a hook or ring to feed an eyelet through would do the job.....

How much height do you need?

Is the cable passing over a path or driveway?

or just running up the side of a private garden...

If no foot or vehicle traffic passing underneath..

and no public access...

I wouldn't worry about going to high as you will start getting problems of messy appearance..

with some ruddy ugly great pole out the back of the house..

What about utilising a galvanized washing line pole?

B&Q used to do some .. just concrete the bottom into the ground near the shed...

anything that can hold the weight of a line full of washing on a windy day,

is not going to fall over with 5m of hi-tuff hanging off it....

You just need to make a judgment on cost, appearance & functionality and safety.

Sorry cant help more!

:Salute :coffee

I have seen it done with galv conduit and a terminal box on the top to screw the plate to. I think the twin even went down the conduit. Fix the conduit to the shed with saddle clips. Its just a case of can the galv take the weight.

Hth

Thanks for the advice gents! I guess the unistrut's a bit OTT then? The wire/cable will be hanging above part of the garden that will be used, which is why I wanted to make it a bit higher. Will look into your suggestion Paul.

Unistrut would make good job, make sure you have a thing whose name escapes me but enables you to wind up the tension , I always put two on long spans but you don't two.

Doesn't need to be very high if there is no vehicular access . Tywraps are good , they are affected by UV but can always be replaced .

Choice of cable :-

SWA

Black 3c 2.5 flex or even 1.5 .

Hituf

You could even use a TV aerial bracket and a length of steel conduit. Have a look in Wickes if there's one near you, but many wholesalers do them too.

Many ways to skin a cat & all that!

Would really appreciate that M107. Looked at the Unistrut this morning and I felt it was way beyond what I required! I did think about a TV aerial PC, but I've decided on some galvanised conduit with a connector box at the top which I can thread the wire and cable through (a la Paul BB!). It makes much more sense when you can look at the bits required.

Wondered if a turnbuckle was needed for just a 5m stretch?

Catinery / turnbuckle, ( strainer ) hook ring, hook plate, tye wraps, all in screw fix P246,

galv conduit will bend, if fixing to shed, and roof overhangs the wall go for TV bracket, and pole, if not unistrut, put an eye bolt through the top, always put a loop at one end/ or both in case of stretch.

good luck

Weren't there 3 weights of conduit in the olden days?

Light, med & heavy?

Most of what I see today is what I would call light from the olden days.

Perhaps if you could get heavy weight (duty) galv conduit then that may do it, mind 5m straight unsupported run that would have a coupler in it, unless you can order in a 6m length of heavy.

There are other options you could use galv'd steel pipe that would be self supporting over 5m though it would sag and would have significant mass.

I'd be tempted with catenary for that distance TBH.

Wall plate, & turnbuckle where most accessible.

What sort of traffic are you expecting under the run?

That would determine what height you need really.

You could use some stripped solid copper cores as twist ties to support the cable if you are paranoid about the UV affecting the nylon cable ties.

Though you can get UV resistant ties.

The strength of your bracket to rise the shed end will depend on the tension you need to pull into the catenary.

You can get 41x21 Unistrut, in this application used side on to the load it would be more than ample, cheaper and more inconspicuous.

My advantage is my own fabrication capabilities for brackets!

Nat, I've just re-read your op 2 feet, 600mm rise, defo 21mm Unistrut would be strong enough, you could even use the plates and wall brackets etc.

Timber shed?

In which case a bit of 3x2 sawn side on may do it, triangulate the mounting at the base though, wall plate may do that or a bit of lateral restraint bar may add enough strength, galv'd and ready drilled.

Ok here you are as promised some pictures of the catenary I put up last week.

I've used cable ties to hang the 25mm copex & inside the copex are 3x cat6 & 1x sheilded twin pair for a tannoy speaker.

This is the old building side, & avinalarf I would use a length of unistrut as an upright at the shed end & fix the ring plate to the uni.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/IMG00023-20110919-1503.jpg

Same end but with conduit box as exit from building.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/IMG00022-20110919-1502.jpg

Not a great picture, but this is the ring with catenary loop.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/IMG00019-20110919-1501.jpg

The span.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/IMG00021-20110919-1502.jpg

New building end, showing the strainer & hook plate. Whiska box used as a breakout point for external speaker, conduit drops down with the cat6's.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/IMG00018-20110919-1501.jpg

As for using the galv conduit as an upright, I think you'll find there will be to much give in it if it is free standing above the shed. I have used galv conduit with it fixed to a wall as a strainer (getting flex across a yard to flood light).....Thread the tube/ bend the tube/ fix tube to wall bend facing away from wall/ use a coupler & fix on an ET hook to tube/ use hook plate other end (or tube as just done)/ use strainer at one end or the other but dont over do the straining.

a concern of mine here would be the structure of the shed?

can it take the strain,

is it a decent shed or one of those cardboard things from the DIY stores?

Latest posts