Floodlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieronious

Reaction score
Hey!

Aint posted In a very long time! I qualified in march this year and only do domestic work so go easy on me!

But basically the rugby club I play for asked me to have a look at the floodlights as some of them not working. Was wondering how to test the ballasts, bulbs, ignitors etc?? they got a 3ph & e supply no neutral going to each tower. 2 bulbs per tower so 2 ballsts etc 1500w bulbs Rx7 fitting i believe. they are old! found one of them had tripped. Any advice on test procedures? testing bulbs without climbing up to the top either! Some of the ballasts are made by thorn other newer one Venture lighting parmar.

need anymore info let me know!

cheers

Kieron

I would try new lamp first, you could test IR on ballast to earth (I normally find that's how they destroy themselves) when they go. Not sure there's much of a test for ignitors, usually you can hear them clicking like crazy if lamp is dead. Strange there's no neutral though.

they got a 3ph & e supply no neutral going to each tower.

Check that supply out, right back to it's origin. I've come accross some real abortions over the years, to tower lighting installations. Never come across 415volt lighting ballasts though!!! It maybe they are using 2 phases and a neutral in that 3 core armoured cable ...Seen that more than a few times ...lol!!!

here are some pics. but most work without neutral. 400v input get 230v out so where does the neutral come from. they also doulble up one of the phases.

Photo0307.jpg

31102010345.jpg

Photo0321.jpg

Photo0309.jpg

Yep, ....There 415 volts alright!!! To be honest, and to my recollection i can't ever say i've seen 415 v ballasts. But when you think about it a little more, it does make sense in overcoming voltage drops on such installations. Perhaps i'm just used to using Big Cables!! lol!!!!

but how is there a neutral made? curious never worked on stuff like this. cos i tested some to make sure i was getting 230v out. and got 230v so would that suggest bulbs gone? could there be other reasons why they aint lighting up?

kieronious,

I don't "do" much with discharge lighting if any!

However, a balanced 2/3 phase supply is that, it don't need an N.

The ballast will work across 2 phases.

They will have designed the lighting to be a balanced load across all 3 phases by the way they connect up the 2 on each individual light IF the designer got it right.

You don'e NEED an N on 3ph supplies.

but how is there a neutral made? curious never worked on stuff like this. cos i tested some to make sure i was getting 230v out. and got 230v so would that suggest bulbs gone? could there be other reasons why they aint lighting up?
No neutral would usually mean balanced load. Do the lamps look ok?

I would love to see the lamps but its a long way up! But how could i confirm that ballasts etc are all working correctly? If i could prove that they can get one of the old coaches who works for western power to change bulbs! rather than splashing out

Just quickly add before someone gets snotty..

Bulbs Grow

and

Lamps Glow!

;) :)

I don't believe you have any faulty "Bulbs" to test...

but you could well have a Faulty "Lamp" or 2 to check!

Just a bit nit-picky on terminology there ..

But could save you sounding like a pratt if you go to the wholesalers asking for "Bulbs" they may send you down the garden center for Bulbs!

:) :Blushing :x ; )

hope you can get it sorted, it will be good experience if you can!

GuinnessGuinness

I would love to see the lamps but its a long way up! But how could i confirm that ballasts etc are all working correctly? If i could prove that they can get one of the old coaches who works for western power to change bulbs! rather than splashing out

Your saying that the club doesn't keep spare lamps for there pitches flood lighting??? :|

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 02:43 ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 ----------

I can understand why you want to make sure that all is good on tera firma instead of climbing all the way up the towers to check the lamps..I do hope you get it sorted. I'm sure someone will give you some pointers.

Isn't there a guy on here that is something to do with lighting?? Perhaps he's the guy to ask?? Even if he doesn't know i'm sure he would know where to go to get the answers you need...

we are a small club which has very little money and relies on people to help out. We have a new committe now which are trying to turn the club around.

they can't be lowered they are about 20 years old!! Hopefully he will post lol! I'll jus check voltages on cables going to lamps and ignitor. If i get voltages must be bulbs imo

we are a small club which has very little money and relies on people to help out. We have a new committe now which are trying to turn the club around.they can't be lowered they are about 20 years old!! Hopefully he will post lol! I'll jus check voltages on cables going to lamps and ignitor. If i get voltages must be bulbs imo
LAMPS FFS!

headbang

Have come across these before on floodlights which are used to illuminate football grounds as the lamp is either 1000 or 2000 watts check out the price as I think you will find them a tadge expensive.

its alright if you went into most shops and asked for lamps they would prob show you something you put on a table or say lamps this is the co op not bhs.

like when i talk to customers i will say where is your fuse box insted of consumer unit

use the right one with the right people i guess.

got this from asda yesterday

just to be clear as the pic is not, it says Halogen lightbulb,

i planted it yesterday and still cant see a thing, may be i need some 20W soil:C

16112010475.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts